Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where to buy...  (Read 12215 times)

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Where to buy...
« on: October 21, 2012, 12:29:41 pm »
... knitting needles? I'm having a problem... Which is, of course, caused by the fact that I am a bl**dy foreigner and started out knitting in Germany, where sizes are different! I know I can get all the needles in all the sizes in Shetland (Lerwick is knitter's paradise!), but at the moment I can't even find a mailorder place to get needles from, and I don't happen to have the small change necessary to pop up north for a day. John Lewis in Aberdeen used to be good at these odd sizes, but now they don't even sell anything smaller than 2.75mm - and I rarely use anything larger than 2.5mm... And I have already tried all the craft shops in the area.

Anyway - I need circular needles, 2.5mm and 3.5mm, 100cm long at least. That's for the top-down jumpers; they get quite big across the chest. I have several in both thicknesses in 80cm (thank you, Lidl - plus some from way back which I've "imported"), and I have already started in that size, so don't want to undo what I have already and start again!

If I can't get them locally (i.e. in UK), I'll order them from Germany. But I thought I'd try here first...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Where to buy...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 12:37:32 pm »
There's a set of 3mm 120cm on Ravelry ]here
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 12:37:45 pm »
Ina,
there are a huge amount of websites that sell knitting needles although I can't vouch for the sizes they sell.
Try purplelindacrafts.co.uk or stashfineyarns.com for starters
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 12:40:32 pm »
I use Purple Linda crafts for crochet stuff. As said try the internet. I am sure if you contact the wools shops in Lerwick they will send you some. Funny though I cant get what I want up here.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 12:56:38 pm »
I've ordered needles from all over the place (tend to shop for cheapest price) including amazon and ebay.

I've had some from these guys before and they have a wide range of circulars inc. 2.5mm 100cm.

http://www.mcadirect.com/shop/knitting-needles-circular-needles-c-24_58_96.html?osCsid=j0af2davpbriq7i8p49ijk0ts2

I'd also suggest one of these

http://www.mcadirect.com/shop/prym-knitting-pin-gauge-611740-p-1999.html?osCsid=j0af2davpbriq7i8p49ijk0ts2

I inherited a lot of knitting needles from people when I started knitting, but many had no size labelled or were marked in old UK system, so this has proved very useful for working out what size things are!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 05:39:57 pm »
The British Addi website (addineedles) has all sizes I think, apart from 3.5mm, and the needles are lovely to knit with - the circular ones don't have a mind of their own so you can use them straight out of the packet.  A bit over £5 each plus 60 or 90 p P&P  Sorry I don't have the exact url
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 09:55:59 pm »
It's always worth looking in charity shops as well.  I've often seen needles in our local ones.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 10:02:37 pm »
Always ask if you do. Some charity shops keep them behind the counter.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 09:31:58 am »
Thanks for all your replies. I'll try the websites you mentioned - the ones I'd found so far had only British sizes, and none of them longer than 80cm.  Charity shops are unlikely to have "continental" sizes, either.

Update:

mcadirect and addineedles have the right sizes (the others don't), and addineedles have even extra long ones, up to 150cm - hooray! Sometimes it's strange which websites come up when you google for something, and which ones seem to be ignored...

Get the creditcard out, I'm ordering...  :excited:

Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 09:43:39 am by Ina »

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 10:00:15 am »
Glad you found what you were looking for :) I just wanted to add that knitting jumpers on 2.5/3.5mm needles is definitely a work of love and devotion and I'm in awe!! You deserve a  :trophy: !

How many stitches do you have on a row?

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 11:23:27 am »
3.5mm is definitely an exception - I got a joblot of oiled Aran cheap, and that's lovely wool but far thicker than anything I usually use! The 2.5mm I use for some Shetland wool (Jamieson's), but my absolute favourite is proper Guernsey yarn - 5-ply - which I knit with 2mm needles. I think for that one I had 372 stitches (in the round). The knitting doesn't take that long; I think professional knitters used to (or maybe still do?) finish one per week. My problem with "normal" jumpers is that it takes me a month or two to knit the thing, and then a year or two to sew the bits together! ::) So anything that doesn't involve sewing up/finishing off, like Guernseys or the raglan I'm doing at the moment is so much better...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 11:34:33 am »
I just love knitting in the round - learning how to do that transformed knitting from a chore to a hobby for me  :knit:   Now once I get to the top all I have to do is graft under the arms and sew in the tails.  The only picking up is a few stitches on either side of the neck at the front - (I hate picking up stitches - one side works fine but the other side never looks right).

For the first time in ages I'm knitting a jumper as flat pieces - the realisation that when I get to the top I still have two front pieces and two sleeves to do is totally daunting. And if I ever get to that point then I'll still have to sew it up  :rant:    I hope it's worth it  :bunny:

I'm glad you found the needles you want. Happy  :knit: :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 11:45:50 am »
Glad you found what you were after Ina!

oooo I hadn't thought about knitting jumpers in the round. I love knitting hats in the round, and have started knitting flat things on circulars. Shall have to investigate jumpers in the round.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 12:29:26 pm »
Dans, look at the thread on knitting jumpers from the top - that's one way to do it. And two books I found very useful are:

"Knitting Ganseys", by Beth Brown-Reinsel; not strictly traditional Ganseys (or Guernseys), but that style, and includes cardies.

And "Cornish Guernseys & Knit-frocks" - gives you a lot of history as well, and the traditional patterns. I knitted a copy of one from that book which is over 100 years old...

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 01:43:44 pm »
Ina,
I have never tried knitting in the round before, other than a pair of socks, so I am interested in the books you have mentioned too.
If you could have only one of those books which would it be?
thanks
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS