Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep feed  (Read 2947 times)

Andrea

• Joined Oct 2012
  • keyworth nottinghamshire
sheep feed
« on: October 21, 2012, 08:40:48 am »
hi, i'm new to this so any help would be great. I have three six month old sheep. what and when do i give them feed. there on grass and hay at the moment I think there ready for slaughter

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: sheep feed
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 09:23:00 am »
If they are ready for slaughter, then I'd be getting them away rather than incurring the cost of bagged feed.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 10:43:15 am »
Ditto. I'd have been sending away commercial tup lambs around now (I've swapped to primitives so won't be yet).

What breed are they, whereabouts in the country are you, do you have grass for the next week or so before you can get them sold/to the abattoir?

Andrea

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 01:44:59 pm »
They are cross texel shetland and we are in nottingham east midlands they have plenty of grass but have been told they need hard feed thanks

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 01:57:45 pm »
Well I give mine sheep coarse mix generally but you can get finishing nuts for a bit of extra fattening before you send them off.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 02:05:56 pm »
I live in Somerset and i will be sending my shetland X castlemilk moorit wethers off next month without hard feeding if I can.
We have very good grass, and I know most would hang on to them for a bit as they are smaller than your average sheep BUT they are in good condition and as my husband won't eat them I prefer a smaller joint. Also one of them is a horrible butty thing and I don't keep trouble for the fun of it!
If you think they are ready, send them in!
Having said that, they certainly aren't going to say no to a little extra feeding :D :sheep:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Andrea

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 11:44:41 pm »
thanks everyone. that was very usefull. think i'll keep them on grass for the next month then send to slaughter.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 06:51:00 am »
Sounds like a good plan  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS