Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello again  (Read 2967 times)

Chris63red

• Joined Dec 2011
Hello again
« on: October 12, 2012, 08:57:06 pm »
Hi,
I posted on here sometime ago I now have a small flock of quality Badger face sheep - enjoying every minute.
Looking forward to putting our recently acquired ram in with the ewes - all good & learning lots - now me thinks a working dog would be a good idea - i have a blue merle called Flick - where are you !!

Does not do a thing I ask - lessons I think lots of them.

Will post some photos when I can

Chris

Ystwyth Badgers
Feel free to check out my blog & please leave a comment !

http://ystwythsmallholders.blogspot.co.uk/

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
Re: Hello again
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 10:09:10 pm »
good luck, a decent dog is an absolute god send!
i just wish mine was good all the time  ::) [size=78%] [/size]
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 10:30:01 pm »

Aye, lessons for you dear  :-J

Q.  How do you have an obedient terrier?
A.  Never ask your terrier to do anything he wasn't about to do anyway.

It's similar for collies.  First of all you need to learn what they are doing, then you develop a language with your collie to describe the things he does naturally - and only then can you make suggestions.  But they're suggestions, not commands - the collie is pretty much always going to read the sheep better than you can. ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 10:45:17 pm »

Aye, lessons for you dear  :-J

Q.  How do you have an obedient terrier?
A.  Never ask your terrier to do anything he wasn't about to do anyway.

Now, those are dogs I do know a thing or two about and sadly the thing he was about to do anyway was attack that other dog who was looking at him funny or next-doors cat or vanish into a bury for the next three hours or...

On the other hand, point them at a rat warren and they dont need any training...... :D

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 06:30:40 am »

Aye, lessons for you dear

It's similar for collies.  First of all you need to learn what they are doing, then you develop a language with your collie to describe the things he does naturally - and only then can you make suggestions.  But they're suggestions, not commands - the collie is pretty much always going to read the sheep better than you can. ;)

This is sooo true....OH took Rowan for lessons to discover he needed them more than she did :roflanim:  so now OH is pretty well trained Rowan is much less confused   and the sheep are handled much more easily :thumbsup: .......
The terriers on the other hand could only be described as hoodlums :P

Jac

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 04:43:18 pm »
I love working collies!  :wave:
They are so clever, mines smarter than most people I know. :-J She has the most wonderful blue eyes, will try to post a pic.
I bought her from a guy on a housing estate in Stoke who had decided he didn't want her at 12 weeks old!
I was lucky though she had originated from a farm in Welshpool and has natural ability, she's better at bringing in sheep than I could ever have hoped.
It's definitely me that needs the lessons, she knows exactly what shes doing but we have communications problems!
Can anyone recommend a teacher? We went for a lesson down in Warwickshire but does anyone know anyone closer to Cheshire for me?  Jo

Jac

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 04:57:20 pm »
Our Star

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 12:51:18 am »
She's beautiful, Jac  :love: :dog:

My trainer is Derek Scrimgeour, he does sessions at Carlisle and Keswick - but that's going to be just about as far as Warks for you, I think.

Alan Bradley is further south but still in the Lakes...  Others are in Yorks...

Couldn't see anything else listed much nearer to you in The ISDS Online Trainers' List - there may be more in the ISDS magazine if you can get hold of a copy.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 08:57:33 am »
Probably not much closer but have you tried Andy at workingsheepdog.co.uk
Jac who where did you go in Warwickshire?
Sheep

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 09:14:13 am »
Omnipeasant trains working collies, she's just outside Rhyader. ( not allowed inside) :roflanim:

Jac

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 12:47:21 pm »
Thanks all,
Yes JS we went to Andy originally but it was all day by the time we'd travelled there and back too. 
Does anyone know if Gus Dermody of 'one man and his dog' teaches?  Apparently he lives near me and still trials his dogs.  I might have to resort to being a groupy at the local trials to find someone! lol  I'll see if I can get the magazine too it sounds interesting.
xx

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 07:14:48 am »
Asking a local trialler for a pointer is probably the best way - they'll sum you up, know who does training locally, point you in the right direction.   :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS