Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Paint for livestock trailer  (Read 6784 times)

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
Paint for livestock trailer
« on: October 19, 2012, 02:20:24 pm »
Hi,I have built a roof and sides onto my Ifor Williams plant trailer to convert it into a livestock trailer.I have built it out of plywood and 2x2.
My question what is the best thing to paint it with.I was going to use creosote,but I am concerned about animals inside the trailer,sheep and pigs licking/chewing the wood.Would using creosote cause problems with the health of the livestock,what else could I use.

Thanks Graham.
Graham.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
Re: Paint for livestock trailer
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 03:03:05 pm »
You can't get creosote any longer, not for quite a while.  The similar smelling product called Creocote says on the label

Toxic to aquatic organisms, may cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic environment. Harmful: may cause lung damage if swallowed. Repeated exposure may cause skin dryness or cracking. Irritating to eyes, respiratory system and skin. CLASSIFICATION (1999/45) Xn;R65. Xi;R36/37/38. N;R51/53. R66.
so it sounds as it it might be OK for short term exposure unless they drink it.   My experience of modern outdoor paint is a bit mixed.  Ordinary domesic wood paint doesn't seem to deal too well with sun and rain!  I have used yacht paint with some success though.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 03:29:05 pm »
I would recommend a natural based paint, but a high quality one - we use Osmo Country colour. It has a high percentage of solids so you dont need lots of coats (one or max two will give you fully opaque and fully waterproof) and it is linseed oil based which is MUCH better at dealing with the weather and low temps without cracking or splitting.
It also comes in loads of colours.
Not cheap but a tin goes a very long way. I wouldnt use anything else. They also do (again safe) varnishes if you want a shiny finished look but the paint itself will be enough if not.
http://www.agwoodcare.co.uk/prod/osmo_country_colour.html
NB just to say you can still get creosote if you are a farm. Have to go through agric suppliers and only agric users can get it but you can, tho it is no longer available for non agric users. Shouldnt be used for any use in contact with food crops tho.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 03:31:27 pm by lachlanandmarcus »

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 03:52:16 pm »
That is interesting to know - about the creosote.  I've taken to re-treating the allegedly pressure treated fence posts that last 2 or 3 years in an attempt to make it longer

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 06:47:42 pm »
That is interesting to know - about the creosote.  I've taken to re-treating the allegedly pressure treated fence posts that last 2 or 3 years in an attempt to make it longer
Its not too well publicised but definitely available.
eg Mole Valley Farmers, just as a random example
http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/barrettine-traditional-dark-brown-creosote-25l

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 09:33:37 am »
I've used floor paint to protect wooden items that are likely to come into contact with livestock, eg wooden ends of pig arks etc. Seems to last quite well and is easy to apply.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 02:55:55 pm »
I wouldn't use gloss paint it cracks and it a waste of time I did it in a trailer.. I would think that any water based fence paint would do

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 06:20:11 pm »
Creosote is legal for use on farms - ie for agricultural use - if transporting farmed animals you would be legal.  if for horses, the  not.  However the smell is horrible, and I would not transport animals in a creosoted trailer.

I would use a wood preserver that says "suitable for indoor and outdoor use" - that way it'll have no odour that could be harmful. We use this on pig arks and have had no problems with licking or chewing.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 06:31:32 pm »
I wouldn't use gloss paint it cracks and it a waste of time I did it in a trailer.. I would think that any water based fence paint would do
gloss based on linseed doesnt crack, but the modern chemical ones do, they cant cope with flexing and cold/hot weather cycles over time.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 07:16:02 pm »
gloss based on linseed doesnt crack, but the modern chemical ones do, they cant cope with flexing and cold/hot weather cycles over time.
Spot on!

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 02:58:58 pm »
Hi,thanks for all the replys very interesting.I have creosote it is only available in quantity of 25 liters or more.You can buy it in scats or most aggri supply stores.
Oaklandpigs what wood preserve do you use on your pig arks it sounds like just the thing,I also have two of these that need some work .

Thanks Graham.
Graham.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS