Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sick kid - unusual symptons?  (Read 4823 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Sick kid - unusual symptons?
« on: October 15, 2012, 09:10:36 pm »
My GG wether kid is sick, rather sudden onset today. At lunchtime I saw that he had diarrhoea, but was up and moving about. So no lunch for him and gave him about 20ml of Kaoline + morphine. He had access to hay and water of course, and I kept him in the pen with the other kids. They are all fine. This evening he seemed to be quite quiet, standing in the pen but not interested in aynthing. The unusal thing is that his pupils are not dilated (everyone else's were, as it was getting dark and shed lights were on), but he did see me and followed my movement. he also seemed rather cold (tips of his ears and his nose). So took him down to the vets and he cannot find anything specific.... gave him Buscopan in the vene plus an antibiotic. His temperature was normal, and he did perk up a bit in the surgery anyway... he walked back from the car to the shed, but now is just lying down again. No interest in hay, again pupils like in day time, just slits. Vet tested and he does move head away from strong light. My big worry was CCN (one of my ewes died from it last year and her initial symptons were really not clear until it was too late), but vet was sure this is not it...
Anyone got any ideas?

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Sick kid - unusual symptons?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 09:30:50 pm »
Poor little thing, I am no expert but we had a lamb like that one year and the vet said it was vitamin B deficiency. There is also a disease knicnamed Yellows up here where the lambs hate light and have similar lethargic symptoms , it is caused by a plant poisoning but the puzzling thing was I could not find the plant ( St Johns wort I think it was called) that was supposed to have caused it. Not much help but maybe worth looking into. Hope he is well again soon. :fc:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 10:26:10 pm »
Mhmm nothing conclusive in his symptoms is there. I would bear CCN in mind, there are not many things that affect goats sight. Just a thought- there isn't any lead paint around is there? Lead paint was what made Blue ill, and ultimately partly why Gordon and Gordon lost him. But- it did affect his sight.

Beth

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 10:58:38 pm »
Wish I could suggest something but I can't.  Just wanted to wish him well.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 11:10:34 pm »
 :hug: a worrying time. Hope he is better soon.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 06:35:03 am »
I would certaily be treating for Listeria.....they don't always circle !!!    Very often it is just lethargy withsudden death.
Have you treated him for coccidiosis......... there has been a huge rise this year,  no doubt due to the wet/warmth conditions.
My money is on Listeria/CCN   which are poles apart  but require heavy doses of antibiotic & Vitamin injections.    Sadly  economics may have to come into the equation.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 08:38:42 am »
He might have found something nasty in his hay, or has an infected rat or cat peed in his food (Wieles ) ?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 09:21:53 am »
Sadly the boy died on our way to the vets on the car this morning, from what was most likely enterotoxeamia of one kind or another. He was shouting and in obvious pain when we got down at 6 this morning, he had blood and mucus coming out his backend, so I had phoned the vet and we were going to have him PTS, as I was aware that he was too far gone.
One of those things  :( ... and I think we did all we could. He was for eating, so although I am upset I am usually not massively attached to the males... but the vet bill will hurt too!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 11:07:17 am »
Really sorry Anke, you tried so hard for him too. Those vet bills always sting that bit more when you don't have the animal to show for it.  Sounds so similar to what we lost Ronnie to 2 years back. Sending you lots of love xx
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 11:52:37 am »
Thanks, just one of those things .... less than 24 hours from bouncing about the place to being gone.... Vet stumped too, he did check that it wasn't a twisted gut or similar (but no fluid in the belly cavity). Just watching the others like a hawk now too...
OH is now keener than ever to get a bolt gun, as we knew that the goat wasn't going to make it but he was a bit too big to do it ourselves quickly and efficiently...
I think it is definitely one of the tasks that any aspiring smallholder needs to learn...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 12:34:15 pm »
Oh, I'm so sorry  :hug:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 12:35:37 pm »
So sorry about your kid. I have had a disastrous time this year with my kids .....coccidiosis went through them like wildfire.  I  too am left with a bit vet bill and lost kids.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 01:09:05 pm »
Oh Anke, I've just caught up with this thread, really gutted for you, it does make you paranoid forever afterwards, such a pity.  You must have felt really stressed in the car,  :hug:  oh I do feel for you.  More annoying when you're not quite sure what it is too I expect.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 01:49:01 pm »
So sorry to hear of your loss Anke.

We lost a goatling this year to enterotoxemia and it left me in an awful way for months. Its so hard to go out all the time and milk the others whilst seeing that missing face in your mind. The routine pulled me through in the end - you have to keep going for the others and time does heal. Does mean my vet bills have gone up 'cos now I'm paranoid about everything as they can go downhill so quickly.

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 02:56:58 pm »
So sorry to hear of this sudden death - very distressing to all concerned.  Hope all the others are okay.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS