Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The new "micro pigs"  (Read 6392 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
The new "micro pigs"
« on: October 14, 2012, 04:50:35 pm »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

They originally came from the little pig company (now in liquidaation) and were got on the basis they were leettttlllleeee pigs!

The other one was in the stable and they are both still CROSS

The other one is fatter than this one!!

Soooo, turns out they are over 2, its a sow not a gilt, having had a litter by her brother before they were split up Supposedly an Oxford Sandy, saddleback, Kune kune mix.

I couldn't upload photos here so I have put them on photobucket

http://s1245.beta.photobucket.com/user/kitchencottage/media/theteacuppig003_zps24486dba.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

HOW DO I GET THE FAT OFF WITHOUT BEING CRUEL...and are they likely to be sawsages only?

In the piccie you can see one of y 25 week old saddlebacks on the other side of the fence...

lill

• Joined May 2011
Re: The new "micro pigs"
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 05:36:51 pm »
looks more like a pot belly x wild boar. micro pig, no such thing, my opinion sure is an ugly bug  :roflanim:

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 05:40:25 pm »
you are the second person to say wild boar x.... I've never seen a wild boar but this has an incredibly back.

Any advice on how to skinny it down would be welcome.

A face only a mother could love :roflanim: :roflanim:

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 06:08:09 pm »
It's gonna take a while  :o

The other option you have is to remove the fat after slaughter (or refine it as lard) we did have an incredibly small and round KK - sent her to slaughter expecting loads of fat back to make soap, but her body shape was actually slightly different and although she looked super fatty, she wasn't actually  :relief:
I don't think that would be the case here though  :-\
Another way to slim them can be to take a litter from them, but I don't think it'd be advisable in this case (and she might be too heavy to get in pig anyway).

At 2 years old, sausages and burgers are gonna be the way to go - the meat will be pretty tough for anything else.
HTH
Karen  :wave:

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 06:12:31 pm »
Well, I'm going to speak to my pub to see if they'll take sausages,,,, my butcher is an ace sausage maker.

They haven't really eaten today, they are stressed by the other pigs....

I gave them half a bucket of chopped veg and a handful of nuts,,,,

We'll see what they are lick tomorrow.

My plan is to give veg and just a handful of nuts (about a lb) and  see how that does that does.....

any thoughts...

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 08:38:42 pm »
 :o I'm no eert but that is ONE FAT PIGGY  :o  poor girl.

princesspiggy

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 08:58:33 pm »
:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

They originally came from the little pig company (now in liquidaation)

how can they be in liquidation? i thought they charged a packet - or did they get sued?

crikey, i havent seen one like that before  :o
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 09:01:09 pm by princesspiggy »

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 09:02:45 pm »
I think it's quite cute - like a little, fat bear.  Poor thing though, I don't reckon for one second the school had ot suddenly rehome them due to builders....good on you KC for taking her on...even if it is briefly ;)

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 09:22:47 pm »
Jane Croft went bankrupt, however she has loads of franchises, (does the taxman know?) so even though she went bankrupt she is still going.
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 10:14:25 pm »
I think it's quite cute - like a little, fat bear.  Poor thing though, I don't reckon for one second the school had ot suddenly rehome them due to builders....good on you KC for taking her on...even if it is briefly ;)
Jane Croft went bankrupt, however she has loads of franchises, (does the taxman know?) so even though she went bankrupt she is still going.
Yep, still churning them out to unsuspecting folks - poor (not so wee) pigs  :furious:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 10:35:51 pm »
Blimey, poor piggy.  Nearly as bad as those Shih Zhu dogs where you can't tell which end is which!

Must show a friend of mine, she wants a micro pig and I keep telling her there is no such thing.  Most I have heard of end up huge.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 10:40:59 pm »

Must show a friend of mine, she wants a micro pig and I keep telling her there is no such thing.  Most I have heard of end up huge.
Maybe you should show her some of the threads on here about "micr*-pigs" & hopefully it'll put her off.  Sadly while naive folks keep buying, the "piglet farmers" will keep producing  :rant:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

princesspiggy

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 11:04:21 pm »
  Nearly as bad as those Shih Zhu dogs where you can't tell which end is which!

ha ha, when our lhaso apso is due for a haircut my friend always asks why he is walking backwards...lol :-J ;D

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 12:35:24 am »
 :o :o :o :o

I thought the fad was over and that people had twigged that piccies of piglets did not reflect piccies of the actual pigs!!

I really don't know how to slim her down.

I do think she has pot bellied in her so my food is too high in protein.  I suspect I'll end up having her 6 months.

I thought I was bad but the school was amazingly ill informed about everything  to do with pig care.  They were in a lovely enclosure but just overfed and, although the lady said the kids went in and out with them..... I doubt they hung around playing happy little tickle games as suggested.

This female had a litter at 10 months but since then hasn't conceived.  Like I said the boar is even fatter.

Well, I don't want to be cruel so its non starch veg and very few protein nuts,

They lived in hay, I use straw so they hopefully won't end up eating that in the same way.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 08:05:51 am »
OMG she is fat but kinda sweet all the same
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS