Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What did you grow well this year  (Read 3667 times)

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
What did you grow well this year
« on: October 10, 2012, 07:31:42 pm »
Hi  :wave:,
As it says, what did you grow well this year, I have had good crops of turnips, lettuce, cauliflowers, celery, leeks, onions, garlic, cabbage, swiss chard, kale and fennel  :yum:, I am really impressed with the fennel, as I thought it was difficult to grow.
Tomatoes, carrots, peas, beans and parsnips were all rubbish  :(, brussels, broccoli and celariac may or may not
turn out, only time will tell  :fc:.
So what grew well on your patch.

Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: What did you grow well this year
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 07:40:59 pm »
this year i mainly grew dandelions and docks!!!

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 08:29:12 pm »
Our most successful crops this year were broad beans, parsnip (only had a few so far but looking good), cabbage, garlic and onions also the rhubarb and globe artichoke from the perennials did pretty well. Our strawberries were good but we need more of them so we've just planted a load of runners into strawberry bags to make another 'strawberry snake' (raised gro-bags). The fodder beet has also done really well. Carrots on the other hand were a dead loss as were the brocolli.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 08:35:13 pm »
leeks were/are great.
 best broccoli ever.
loads of tomatos
loads of cucumbers and gherkins.
kale spinach chard were/are good too.
the rest were rubbish.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 09:49:13 pm »
Courgettes, cucumbers, broad beans & runner beans have all done very well. :thumbsup:
Peppers, peas not so well. :innocent:
Summer squashes compleat crap. >:(

Wendy@blueborage

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 11:28:21 am »
Depressing year overall.

I didn't see one carrot after I'd planted the seeds and only a few parsnips have shown up.  My tomatoes (usually bullet-proof) developed nasty little holes in the fruit so hardly ate any.  But the leeks look good so there's going to be lots of leek-based meals in the kitchen this winter!

Did have a few successes; but talking around the real stars of the local veg plots this year were the runner beans.  They just kept on coming and I now have a freezer full of them.

Wendy@blueborage

blueborage.blogspot.com

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 11:50:47 am »
My tomatoes have grown really well and chard and courgettes, I also have the mother of all pumpkins still growing :o.

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 06:31:16 pm »
Spectacular fail...tomatoes..... potatoes
Fail....courgettes ??? ....beans
Success....cabbage red and white......broccolli......carrots....mangetout.....swede...salad..... :thumbsup:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 08:29:47 pm »
Polytunnel - great tomatoes, lots of green (as ever) peppers, really fantastic cucumbers, smallish pumpkins, courgettes ok, chard very good too, some beetroot ok, others got eaten by the voles/mice
Outside: almost complete loss, except for beetroot, PSB and Brussel sprouts looking promising, leeks ok too, on the fruit front - good for rhubarb, black/red currants, autumn rasps, gooseberris ok too, but sawfly was out in force again, I gave up on strawberries a couple of years ago - always mouldy/eaten by mice and slugs. Only a few apples thanks to late frost, again not a single plum/damson.
Not a single carrot (ONE grew out of 4 x 3m rows, but it was forked when I "harvested" it -  :( ), maybe one meal from parsnips, cabbages disaster again - this was my last year of trying  :rant: , only very few tatties - not worth harvesting after all this  :raining: ...
oh, and my bees died too... :'(

Mel

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 11:57:38 am »
I have had my best year for Potatoes(about 150KG in all!),tomatoes and broad beans,my runners did not do so well this year,no idea why.spinach,cabbages and broccoli all done really well too,my chillies were terrible-they are trying to flower now :o Cucumbers died off miserably but did have a few nice ones.

I just could not get anything off of my rhubarb this year,apples,pears and plums-awful,blackberries,loganberries,redcurrants and blackcurrants all done remarkably well. :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 11:17:18 pm »
What grew well?  Other than weeds, absolutely zilch.  The only thing that was productive, and that not brilliantly, was the tomatoes.  Fruit was good and bad.  Apples did alright as did plums but pears, blueberries and rhubarb were rubbish.

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 12:45:30 pm »
I'm going to try growing some bits inside next year in case the weather is as bad! we've had a really rubblish year and only managed to grow potato blight and lots of hugh slugs!  >:(
So give up now for this year but plan to start a fresh very soon
Red

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS