Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Giant Jersey Chicks  (Read 2549 times)

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
Giant Jersey Chicks
« on: May 24, 2009, 11:54:28 pm »
Hi there

I am soo happy today as my 1st Jersey Giant chicks hatched yesterday, 2 so far with another 3 breaking through as I speak and what makes it even better for me is that my grandaugther is here to stay for the week so she is delighted.  These are from 6 eggs bought off ebay - so I am well pleased - and they are the 1st chicks I have every hatched.  I got them from ebay as they appeared so expensive to buy (not to mention difficult to find near me). 

Hopefully they will not be the the last, as I got 24 off ebay in total from 4 different areas in UK (1 Scotland - 1 Cornwall and 1 Wales) to try to get different bloodlines so to speak.  My other 2 sets are not due to hatch for about a week so fingers crossed for the same good result as this batch.  I will try to put some photo's on here when I can, but so far one grey chick and one black.  They are lovely  :chook: :chook: ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Giant Jersey Chicks
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 12:24:29 am »
ooh, exciting - look forward to seeing the photos.  If I could sell chicks I might think about getting an incubator - not worth it just to increase my own stock.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 07:45:31 am »
Well done Milly, good luck with them!

Annie, we rear chicks several times a year (pure light sussex) and keep them to 17 weeks or so. We sell the pullets as point of lay and put the cockerels in the freezer for "luxury dinners"!  From a card in the feed merchants we always manage to sell the lot and it helps towards the feed bill.

Cheers

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 09:41:46 am »
Hi Dave
Yes, I could do that but I couldn't kill the cockerels at 17 weeks.  I have always said I'm happy to eat anything except my own animals, so I'd have to have someone do it for me.  What a wimp, huh?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 02:18:49 pm »
I'm sure you could find someone locally who would do it in exchange for a couple of birds.  I have a similar arrangement with a neighbour, for every 6 I kill and pluck I get to keep one.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS