Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Deforemed teat  (Read 9352 times)

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Deforemed teat
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 06:50:28 am »
You have just answered the query in the back of my mind.............fishtail teats are common in Boers.....it is said that some strains actually have 4 working orifices.      Whether this is due to a connection with some of other breeds in Africa who are prized for 4 teats....this connection would go back 200 years or more.....I dont suppose it is known.
I had assumed we were discussing a swiss type breed where of course fishtail teats are a no no.......but in Boer/Boer crosses, this can crop up.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 05:25:12 pm »
Glad you mentioned this as I had thought I would cross Pom with a Boer to get meat kids, if I can't find a pure Sanaan.  I won't now.  Cloud was bought in when my old girl died earlier this year.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 05:51:43 pm »
Thinking now that I may well need extra freezer space.  What's the betting that when her time comes, she has female kids?  Still she's half Boer so they should be good for meat especially if I mate her with another Boer.

Someone like myself mite want a doe as a friend for there other goat :goat:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 10:26:27 pm »

Someone like myself mite want a doe as a friend for there other goat :goat:

I'll have a think but I will need a companion for Pom when Curry goes for slaughter.  I really want to have two milkers as well.

What makes it worse is that she was a birthday present from my OH who doesn't really want to have goats anyway.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 08:16:16 am »
That does make it more difficult !!!!!     I would breed from her for your own use....you know that anything you keep will carry this genetic fault.
Certainly anything that is surplus is meat/freezer material.    Perhaps any youngsters that are retained wear a different colour collar/or same as Mum's.  That way they easily identified.
It is probable the next generation...if mated to swiss male...wont have this issue.......because the kid will effectively be threequarters swiss.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 09:54:05 pm »
I don't have problems identifying mine as there are so few of them and Cloud would be the only one to kid that year.  Do you think it's worth the risk of keeping a female kid if I use a Sanaan male?  I suppose by the time any kids are ready for slaughter, fish tails will have appeared if they're going to.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 09:59:21 pm »
IMO if you would be keeping any female kids it wouldn't be a problem ethically.
I wouldn't feel happy selling a female from Millicent even if she didn't show the trait as I know she would be carrying it :-[
But having said that, there is no Boer in Millie at all so as Cloud is part Boer it may be acceptable?
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 10:41:01 pm »
I wouldn't risk selling one but just keep one for my own use.

It's all academic anyway because if the doctors can't sort my mobility out, I might not be able to keep the goats I've got.  Trying to be positive though and act as if I'll have goats for the foreseeable.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS