Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Deforemed teat  (Read 9353 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Deforemed teat
« on: October 06, 2012, 04:22:51 pm »
When I bought Cloud I checked her teats and they both looked normal.  Now one is developing an extra end.  Has anyone seen anything like this before and what can I do about it?

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: Deforemed teat
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 04:35:40 pm »
Pray to gods both orifices (orifi??) aren't functioning!

Millicents left teat is like that, and when being milked spirts 2 jets at right angles to each other >:(  I CANNOT milk her into a bucket, it is impossible to get both streams in ???
I dried her off as I was narked off with wasting milk. I did have some success milking her into a jar held so the teat was inside but that was a nause too.
I feel a milking machine will be the only way, or just let her rear meat kids herself and rely on the others for milk for the table.

We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 04:36:36 pm »
Oh dear  :(

It looks like what is called a "fish-tail teat" so called because of the shape obviously. It is a deformity, and is generally a secondary (usually false- ie an invalid teat which won't have any milk come through it) which comes off at an angle to the main teat.

It doesn't mean that she is incapable of breeding, but you must be aware if you breed from her, the deformity may pass on to her offspring. Also, obviously it is going to be very difficult for a kid to suckle, or for you to milk her as the deformity will get in the way.

Personally I would not breed from her. Fish tail teats can develop (or become visible) after the goat is a few weeks old. It is useful to keep a check on how their teats are doing as they grow.

I'm sorry to break the news  :(

Beth

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 04:39:17 pm »
Trust Millie to have both holes functioning!
Fortunately she was able to rear her kids splendidly!

I would also mention it to her breeder though incase she isn't aware of this in her goats ;)
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 05:54:05 pm »
That's not good news.  I bought her to use for milking and she came from a farm where they keep goats for dairy purposes so I can't imagine her mother had the problem.  They also have her grandmother who is used for milk production.

She was five weeks old when I got her and it was only noticed when she was having her hooves trimmed a month ago.  Today it looked a bit bigger.  I wonder if the vet can remove it.  I suppose I could breed from her but use the kids for meat.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 06:55:23 pm »
Sadly a highly inheritable trait........most breeders  will check for signs of this carefully, particularly when the kid is 'out' at disbudding time.     At one time, before meat kids werein vogue,  these kids showing signs of fish tail teats were PTS.   
There are more about these days because the huge dairy herds are not as scrupulous about checking.   Also, a lot a new goatkeepers buying from commercial herds, assume that all will be well.......sadly finding out later that the opposite is the case.  It is only perhaps 2 generations down the line, this fish tail deformity reappears with the sad result identified.
I personally, however well bred a kid is, would put such an animal to sleep.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 07:46:48 pm »
Don't dispair MGWoM, you could use one of thoses eze milker thingies of get a milking machine. I would just be careful to make sure no kids are kept to pass the trait on ;)
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 08:34:59 pm »
Trouble is Farmed Dairy goats usually come from farms that were former Cattle Dairy farms and they never bothered about it on their cows which is why they are rife in cattle.Someone recently told me about their goat "If I'd've seen them earlier I'd've cut them off" I told him you can cut out the teat but you can't cut out the gene" He'd never thought of that! I wonder how many others just cut the teat off and carry on.I know Pygmy goats have them and it can lead to the loss of the kids

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 09:01:38 pm »
I persoally would NOT breed from her and if I sold one of my kids and she would come out with fishtail teats later I would refund the money or exchange the kid for a sound one, and deal with the kid myself. As a breeder I would be glad (in a sad kind of way) if that were pointed out to me, as it would mean I could check the parent stock, not repeat the mating etc etc.
However I think there are some breeders out there who would just "snip" them off.... but it could also be that this was "out of the blue" for the breeder.... :-\

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 09:09:30 pm »
I had decided to continue to breed from Millicent but her kids male or female would go in my freezer. I am assuming there is no ethical problem with this? I could not bear to 'get rid' of Millie now, but she does have to earn her keep somehow :-\
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 09:55:14 pm »
I had decided to continue to breed from Millicent but her kids male or female would go in my freezer. I am assuming there is no ethical problem with this? I could not bear to 'get rid' of Millie now, but she does have to earn her keep somehow :-\
No I don't think there is a problem with it if you are able to eat any of her kids  - but  lots of people would find it difficult. And if you have found a way of using her milk than maybe that is the solution for you. But everybody has to find their own I guess....

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 09:58:26 pm »
CW I feel the same way about Cloud.  I wouldn't be keeping her kids as I don't have the space but I would have sold any females but I think they will just have to go for meat.  I will get my vet to have a look and see if it can be removed though.   Otherwise it might mean a milking thingy, which I might have to get anyway because of my hand.   :(

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 10:12:02 pm »
If you are considering the udderly eezy (I remembered ;D ) anyway then I wouldn't worry!
It is a shame about not being able to sell on the nanny kids but these things happen eh?
I shall always put Millicent to a boer billy now, she did her kids so well this year I couldn't believe it!
I probably won't try and milk her again TBH but at least this way she isn't simply an expensive pet ;D
It is a shame though as she threw the prettiest polled nanny twins this year :( 
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

mart2671

• Joined Sep 2012
  • South Devon
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 12:33:01 am »
Get your vet just to have a look , but you may be able to feel urself if the milk duck in side the teat is split . I would personally not breed the animal but thats my choice . You need to make the breeder you got her from aware even if it was a commercial herd as it may be comming from a certain line . It use to be very common years ago and was often found in differant lines and could be traced back to certain males or females . Remember if you take your females to a male to use at stud to check he does not have any extra teats , as some people will snip them of a stud male if he is really well bred rather than culling him !!!!! as dont forget it can be inherited from the male line TOO !!!! Many years ago the best BA i ever bred kidded twin females both with extra teats :-( Then when i bred her again the kids were born again with extra teats :-( I never bred her again and she ended up as a house goat such a shame . At a show i was asked by a well none BA breeder ( Macness prefix) That lovely BA of yours did she ever have any female kids , when i explained what had happened and told her the breeding she told me there and then where it had come from it was in her sires line . 

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 10:16:28 pm »
Thinking now that I may well need extra freezer space.  What's the betting that when her time comes, she has female kids?  Still she's half Boer so they should be good for meat especially if I mate her with another Boer.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS