Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Private water supply  (Read 14240 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Private water supply
« on: October 06, 2012, 04:02:01 pm »
Having seen a thread about bore holes I thought I would start a new one re private water supplies.
Quote from the other thread
"not a borehole but my house came with its own water supply, pumped up from the lake at the bottom of the hill. its purified by uv and filtered, its lovely. no chlorine. its worth it for that alone i reckon.
water bills in cornwall are 700/1000/year.
 The uv system gets a new bulb and filter every  6month so my water costs me about 150/year." unquote
We have a private water supply but it doesn't have a filter and the people here before us said they had never had it tested so we have just had an analysis done of the water and this is the findings.
Total Coliforms by Colilert HJE/M001 : 45 MPN per 100ml 0
E. Coli by Colilert HJE/M001 : 1 MPN per 100ml 0
pH @ 20oC HJE/W007 : 6.2 pH Units 6.5 - 9.5
Langelier Index* WSLANG : -1.0
The results don't mean much to me but this is what they had to say.
"This sample of water was clear and colourless in appearance.
This sample of water was contaminated by coliform bacteria including a trace of the type associated with sewage/slurry.
The pH value fell below the minimum permitted level for potable water and the negative Langelier Index suggests that this water could exert corrosive tendencies.
This sample failed to satisfy the tested bacteriological requirements of the Private Water Supplies (Wales) Regulations 2010 in respect of the presence of coliform bacteria.
This sample of water FAILED the tested chemical requirements of the Private Water Supplies (Wales) Regulations 2010, in respect of the pH value."
Well neither of us have been ill and neither had the previous tennants, and they had 3 children. Still, it looks like we need to get some filters now.
Sally
[/font][/font][/size]
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: Private water supply
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 04:49:12 pm »
Years ago the water board wanted to put in mains water to all the cottages and farms in the village.  They had been on a private water supply installed by the local farm and piped to the village early last century - what the water board didnt know was that the water was being pumped up from another farm owned by the same family a few fields away

The water board came along and said the water was not drinkable, but tested the water on the farm where the water was pumped from (but was too far away for them to be bothered to run the mains to and make money from the operation) and said it was excellent  ::)

Similarly I used to collect water from one of the springs on the Malvern Hills.  The water board put up notices everywhere saying the water contained higher levels of nitrate than permitted under EU regs.  I bought some nitrate tester strips, and guess what - the water from the spring had lower nitrate levels than the tap water, and by quite a big margin.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 04:50:15 pm »
We had a private water supply up in Aberdeen. We'd just moved in and were advised to get it tested, it also showed coliforms (I think our reading was 40) and we were advised to get a UV filter to 'fix' it - because it was over 'safe' levels. But, the man who did the test wasn't too concerned, he said where there are sheep on the land around the watersource it's expected and although the reading showed 40, that's not really that high in comparison to many  :-\

I was recently pregnant, so needless to say we got a filter just to be on the safe side but farmer Sandy (who shared our supply) never had a filter - probably is a case of being immune Sally  ;)
Normal ph for water can be anywhere from 6.5 - 8.5 - so yours isn't hugely off the accepted levels either.
But I suppose a filter wouldn't be a bad thing - just to be on the safe side  :thumbsup:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 05:37:08 pm »
In Aberdeenshire (and maybe elsewhere) the council will pay some or all of the cost of putting in filters, so its worth checking! NB you need to consult them first, you cant put it in and then ask for the money, there is a process.
In Scotland there is a proposal to make all private water supplies register on a register. While Im suspicious this is going to be used to charge some fee or other in the future, the ostensible reason is the difficulty of tracing ecoli outbreaks - a recent one at a nursery near us has left a toddler with terrible after effects (failed kidneys, and i think blind and deaf :-((( , it was thought to be brought in by one of the children, it is a very rural farming area.
 We have filters, and its more for visitors benefits than for us.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 05:39:15 pm »
We have a private/bore hole and somewhere in the depths have a bit of paper from when it was put in (by the man who owned the land) as I didn't understand what the % I spoke to someone I think at Aberdeen University and was told yes get a filter if your bothered at all but money was running out so we didn't get to it - still alive and kicking (at the moment).

Sally - Will try and find my bit of paper to let you know what my one said.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 05:50:43 pm »
In Aberdeenshire (and maybe elsewhere) the council will pay some or all of the cost of putting in filters, so its worth checking! NB you need to consult them first, you cant put it in and then ask for the money, there is a process.
In Scotland there is a proposal to make all private water supplies register on a register. While Im suspicious this is going to be used to charge some fee or other in the future, the ostensible reason is the difficulty of tracing ecoli outbreaks - a recent one at a nursery near us has left a toddler with terrible after effects (failed kidneys, and i think blind and deaf :-((( , it was thought to be brought in by one of the children, it is a very rural farming area.
 We have filters, and its more for visitors benefits than for us.
well we were never offered any grants - and I had three houses (not all at once  :roflanim: ) with private water.  Must have been a secret! :innocent:

We lived at one of these for 12 years before putting in filters and never had a day's illness.  Was that near Inverurie, LAM?  Seem to remember one incident when I was there - over 4 years since I left.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 06:00:28 pm »
My water comes from the beck that runs past the back door.
Each of the original 11 farms in the dale is built on a beck.

The water goes through a string filter to remove fish and mud, and a uv filter to remove bacteria. I often forget to replace the bulb. I have never had it tested and I've never been ill.

It tastes wonderful though is often brown when it rains hard, which looks quite alarming in the loo.  It seems to bother townie visitors to have a bath brown before you get in, or drink brown water. They prefer theirs colourless and full of chlorine and aluminium sulphate  ;)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 06:18:46 pm »
I guess you have a point there Jaykay its where the water comes from ie our comes from 60m down (and we measured it!!) or like my in/out-laws that's a surface burn to a tank
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 06:24:51 pm »
The water we had from loc arn on the caingorms for the last 100 yeres the council said last month it was no good so 24 million was spent on a new plant in the village from a deep bore hole i went to the water board meeting i asked why there was chioride  in the water ,he said haw do you no this lora is a dental nurse and the water is very tastles they went mad ,so i put it in the local paper Concerns over new tap water in Badenoch and Strathspey      The new water treatment plant at Kinakyle is now supplying drinking water to 10,000 people and businesses from Newtonmore through Kingussie and Aviemore to Grantown and Cromdale.
However, there have been concerns about the water quality within the first two weeks of the new supply being switched on.
The water is now being taken from a massive underground reservoir using boreholes rather than Loch Einich in the Cairngorms.
Most of the complaints have come from residents in the Myrtlefield area of Aviemore.
Amongst their concerns are:
• an excessive chlorine smell;
• the water appears harder than previously and does not lather easily;
• when making tea the water turns black instantly; and
• tea and coffee taste differently.
A spokesman for Scottish Water confirmed that the new water treatment works (WTW) was now being used.
He said: "It is not uncommon to get some complaints of this nature when a different source of water is introduced to the local network.
"We expected that we would have some customers querying the taste of the water when the new works went live. We are monitoring and managing this issue and will look to continually optimise chlorine levels.
"We have already slightly reduced chlorine dosing since the WTW came on line, based on the monitoring we are undertaking in the water supply zone."
Aviemore Community Council said they had received a number of reports from locals concerned about their drinking water, and there are also similar posts on Facebook.
Mr Bill Lobban, vice-chairman of the watchdog, said: "This is a problem which is causing concern among a large number of local people and Scottish Water should take these concerns very seriously.
"When the new borehole supply was announced we were promised water of the same quality as the old Loch Einich supply.
"This is clearly not the case.
"Many people are complaining about the extremely high levels of chlorine and in particular about the effect the new supply is having on hot drinks like tea and coffee.
"Scottish Water needs to come clean regarding the exact differences in the water quality and attempt to rectify the situation if possible."
Strathy Facebook follower Lisa Duffus said: "I called Scottish Water to complain and they are sending someone out on Thursday to test my water. Fingers crossed that something might be done about it."
The company said that the teething problems should settle down soon, and pointed out that a huge investment had been made by them which would have major spin-offs for the strath.
Mr Simon Harrison, Scottish Water Operations Manager, said: "It’s great to see the new works going into supply. It will benefit our customers in many ways.
"By using boreholes rather than a remote mountain loch as our source we can access and maintain the supply more easily, increase the capacity available to support economic growth and protect the sensitive Cairngorms environment."
The project has been delivered by Scottish Water Solutions with construction firm Black and Veatch.
Building work at Kinakyle began in March 2010 and at its peak 70 people were working on site.
A formal public opening of the £24 million facility is being planned for the spring.
The new water supply comes from a vast natural aquifer contained within the gravel bedrock laid down from the last glacial age beneath the River Spey at Kinakyle.
Four boreholes between 30 metres and 40 metres deep are bringing the water to the surface at the plant.
Water bosses said prior to the opening that there should not be much of a change in the taste of the water. AND YES ITS DOUBLE THE PRICE          HAW MAD IS THIS  AND YES IT NEEDS
high levels of chlorine BECOUSE ITS DIRTEY WATER   :wave:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:30:32 pm by Victorian Farmer »

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 06:25:44 pm »
Yes, mine had a 50m drop at least  :thumbsup:

VF, I am so glad no-one would ever bother supplying me with any other sort of water  ;D

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 06:33:08 pm »
The water is crap it pops in the kettle that's hydrogen in the water  :rant:

bangbang

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 06:37:43 pm »
Heavy water, that's what you want...worth a fortune!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 06:41:54 pm »
Ha, don't know what it tastes like but probably don't want to find out  :D

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 06:44:01 pm »

well we were never offered any grants - and I had three houses (not all at once  :roflanim: ) with private water.  Must have been a secret! :innocent:

We lived at one of these for 12 years before putting in filters and never had a day's illness.  Was that near Inverurie, LAM?  Seem to remember one incident when I was there - over 4 years since I left.

No this incident was recently, at a nursery school in Aboyne :-(((( Three or four children and one adult affected but this wee one was the worst. It was a few months ago, but the report into it has just been issued, prompting the calls. P&J had a lead story on it last week. The affected child is I think still in hospital.
We didnt get the grant either, but we could have if we realised early enough, but our (next door but one) neighbours got it. Its not exactly publicised very well and they were told ooh better get in there quick too, so who knows if its still happening but it did cover the whole cost and was of benefit to us as their water is taken off a spring on our 'in between' neighbours land but right at the edge of our land (and then piped under his fields), so effectively off our land! Means his cattle can churn up and he can spray but we have to be really careful so we dont affect the water!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 06:49:17 pm »
Thanks for that, just got planning for my plot so I'll look into that.  Need to get quotes for piping water from the well to the plot, and taking clear effluent (bio disc) from plot to soakaway, and electricity from field main box too.  Any advice?  I'm not developing it myself but thought if I had quotes it would sell better.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS