Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: collies  (Read 4089 times)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
collies
« on: October 05, 2012, 04:50:01 pm »
Hi all those collie fans1 :wave:

hopefully  :fc: moving into that small holding soon and good excuse to get a collie pup!  Have always been collie mad ... have had 2 super collies in the past. Currently got a half collie (collie cross gundog ... but the non collie side is dominant, (when he is just being plain dumb I tell him to find his collie side!)

Anyone likely to have any B & W or tricolour pups ... prob female ..... from confident friendly parents (previous collie a bit nervous and would nip first and ask why later!) .... in a couple of months?   Carmarthenshire/ Wilts/Oxford areas ?

Love to hear about your collies

Linda
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: collies
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 04:57:13 pm »
Hope you find a  good one, Linda - don't forget to check that the parents have been health tested.  This is the latest list updated July this year - http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/download/1100/abshealthreqs.pdf

Presumably it's a  Border Collie you're after - Border Collie 1) Hip scoring 2) Annual eye testing DNA test - CEA

Moleskins had some a while back, he may know of someone if his are all gone.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 06:19:41 pm »
If you haven't worked collie dogs on sheep before, one approach would be to select your sheepdog handler trainer and then see if s/he knows of any pups that might be available and would suit you.

They may also know of a trained or part trained dog that would suit.  I found it helpful having at least one of us knowing what to do when I started working collie dogs on sheep...  ;) :D  Then I trained my own pup once I had a bit of a clue, and she's been fantastic. :love: :dog:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 06:51:09 pm »
You could try The Border Collie Trust GB, they sometimes get pups in and retired workers desperate to be back out working :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 08:01:13 pm »
You could try The Border Collie Trust GB, they sometimes get pups in and retired workers desperate to be back out working :thumbsup:
   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

there's also Freedom of Spirit Trust for Border Collies and Morgans dog rescue (think these are just on facebook).  I can personally recommend both of these as I know people with dogs from both.

I currently have a 3 yr old foster collie who is a real good lad and settled in very nicely.  So nicely I think I may fail on the fostering  :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 11:35:47 pm »
I have spent all evening trying to remember the name of the other one!

Wiccaweys, another BC rescue :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 09:22:50 am »
Thank you everyone for suggestions .........................Jovi is from Wiccaways ..... was impressed with their approach .... introduce whole family (including any other dogs) to collie .... if they( Wiccaways staff)  are not happy with with you as collie owner then you dont get to take him/her away (guess we passed the test!)  ..... and as Jovi had been forstered by a collie fosterer for 7 months he was well trained in the basics too.

How do I find a sheep dog handler trainer ..... and what is it likely to cost?

Linda
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 10:05:14 am »
How do I find a sheep dog handler trainer ..... and what is it likely to cost?

ISDS Breeders and Trainers - find a one in your area and give them a call.

I don't think most trainers charge overmuch - last time I went to one of Derek Scrimgeour's sessions it was £40 / day. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS