Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Aiding and abetting puppy farms  (Read 2921 times)

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Aiding and abetting puppy farms
« on: October 03, 2012, 01:20:06 pm »
I've just taken delivery of some 'new owners packs' of food for the litter of pups we have. To get these you have to register online with the feed manufacturer, they do have various terms and conditions which you're supposed to comply with, like giving the new owners name and address details. Obviously so they can encourage the new owner to keep using their feeds.

The one that concerned me was this, you're supposed to be having more than one litter a year and you're supposed to have more than one breeding bitch.

Isn't this a case of the feed manufacturer encouraging excessive breeding and from the wrong quarters?

Yes, Yes, I know they have to try to increase their sales etc but even so.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Aiding and abetting puppy farms
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 02:07:41 pm »
Definitely sounds like it, doesn't it?  You could write and tell them what you think.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 02:33:59 pm »
Yes I agree Moleskins that's just encouraging more breeding.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 07:45:48 pm »
I did ask at the time what their policy was re puppy farms and all I got was waffle and clearly the girl didn't know the answers.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 08:19:20 pm »
Possibly didn't even know what a puppy farm was  ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 10:34:02 am »
I get lots of mail from feed companies all because I used to have a web site for my stud when I was breeding. Once your address is out there it is sold on to just about anyone. Its all about making money not animal welfare and never will be.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 11:28:38 am »
I get lots of mail from feed companies all because I used to have a web site for my stud when I was breeding. Once your address is out there it is sold on to just about anyone. Its all about making money not animal welfare and never will be.
My breed website has been on the go since the 90s - only once been contacted by feed people.  Wonder why.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 12:55:05 pm »
Possibly the way your website comes up on search engines, giving it a lower profile.
But in this case count yourself lucky, once the marketing people get your email you can get
bombarded with all sorts.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 02:02:37 pm »
There is only one person that keeps puppy farms going in their own rights and that is the buyer. The feed companies keep themselves going and perhaps do go all out for business but they cant help it if folk keep the puppy farms going and how can they distinguish? Puppy farms dont advertise that they are a farm they advertise as single breeders selling a few pups. Such as cat breeders, pony breeders, micro pig breeders etc. It is up to the new prospective owner to be responsible and put these greeedy  breeders out of business. It is the pony sales up here tomorrow, I wonder if they will be called' pony farms'. We cant single out puppies, there are breeders that are greedy and selfish across the board.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS