Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to find goat breeders with good rep??  (Read 2961 times)

Klb

• Joined Sep 2012
How to find goat breeders with good rep??
« on: October 04, 2012, 11:08:48 am »
 Im looking to buy two female goats, either British alpine or saanan ( alpine first choice) to use for hand milking, as a first time buyer I'm trying to locate local breeders, I went onto the breeds website Hoping to see list of breeders with good rep's, but nothing, I'm very worried about looking on these selling sites, as again first time buyer I dont want to be 'mugged', and not experianced in goat conformation etc.. ???
Any tips would be grateful, breeders websites/contact info even better, I'm in Somerset but can travel, but not silly distances.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: How to find goat breeders with good rep??
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 12:33:09 pm »
Hi Klb,

I would recommend starting with the British Goat Society. People who register their goats and look to improve them by breeding good stock, tend to be members of the BGS. Looking on their contacts page, I see there is a Somerset goat club affiliated to the BGS- see link.

http://www.allgoats.com/contacts.htm#BRITISH%20GOAT%20SOCIETY

I would start there, the contact on the link should be able to put you in touch with other Goatkeepers in the area, and if there are any events happening this autumn where you can meet people.

Hope that helps, and let us know how you get on.

Beth

mart2671

• Joined Sep 2012
  • South Devon
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 03:20:26 pm »
Hi as an x Pedigree BA Breeder i can give you some names if you pm me . They are hard to find these days not very many around .

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 05:23:38 pm »
I know the Horsehay herd people (think they are shropshire though) - fabulous herd and breeders. They can put you in the right direction (they are Alpines)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Klb

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 05:49:38 pm »
I will email the contacts on bgs, I should of thought of that but was looking at actual goat breed websites, well you learn from your mistakes. Ballingall cheers for web attechment.
I will also contact horsehay, ( thanks for name plumseverywhere) see if they can also recommend a herd, as always great to get more than one point of view.
Mart2671 will pm u.
 :thumbsup:

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 07:35:52 pm »
I am in Devon with pure Saanen & ANs.....   registered stock for nearly 40 years.    My Saanens are blood unrelated to other breeders having imported in2010 from the finest Dutch herd.
If I can be of any help....then do please contact me.

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 07:50:42 pm »
We bought our 2 BAs from Diane Parker (Norwich and District Goat Society).  She appears to know everybody (UK not just local) and was far more helpful than the BGS people I contacted; in fact the BGS woman I spoke to was downright unhelpful!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS