Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new layers not laying-HELP PLEASE  (Read 6126 times)

Henstock

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: new layers not laying-HELP PLEASE
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 05:17:59 am »
I've got it!!! It's the henopause!!!  :excited:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 07:46:36 am »
Very good! I like that one ;D ;D ;D

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 09:45:30 am »
Brilliant!  :roflanim:     

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 11:23:19 am »
I'll remember that one! :roflanim:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 07:46:47 pm »
Ha  :D

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 08:25:32 am »
we have Licolnshire buffs and light sussex that we had expected as pullets to come into lay by now    nuthin      even the pekins have stopped laying :-\

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 08:34:25 am »
Do you have light in your henhouses?

I have three houses in use at the moment and in one of them the bulb has gone, which one way or another I haven't replaced for a fortnight  ::) That's the house I'm getting no eggs from.

I wouldn't want you to think I'm overflowing in eggs from the other two, it's the autumn and birds stop laying in the autumn -  but I am still getting a few a day.

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 08:49:44 am »
No Jaykay no lights   not set up the same way as other house tho I know another member would say that's the proper way i.e let them lay a natural amount of eggs without artificially enhancing conditions :thumbsup:  \i guess we expected POL to have started laying and possibly hoped they would have continued even if sporadically throughout the colder months......possibly not eh....thanks ;)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2012, 09:20:24 am »
I had a problem getting ours who were POL to start laying, eventually sussed out they were getting nice and fat and not bothering to look for food elsewhere so they went on a diet and hey presto eggs within a week!
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 07:52:53 am »
Hi there, what amazing responses, thankyou!
I had decided to up the lighting hours, re treat for red mite,& leave them alone as they were not ill.
We now have 2 layers our of the new 12 girls.the shed was treated well before they moved in, there have been 1 or 2 mites seen so treated PROPERLY every week for 3 Weeks & so now I presume I'm on top of the problem (not that it was very big to be honest).
The girls have been wormed, have regular acv, add lib layers pellets & just a handful of scratch corn between them all.the ground is not open any where, they are on a wooden / slabbed area with a plenty large enough sand box for scratching.this is cleaned & sand replaced every 4 Weeks,& was clean when they moved into it.
They are not integrated with any other flock, so no pecking order problems as these are all from the same hatch. In the words of Yoda....." stumped am I"!!!

They are moulting, but it seems a bit of a half hearted one, they look good enough so aren't losing feathers in quantity.
I have another worry now.please, if you have the patience, see my new post!

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 11:44:09 am »
is it possible they are hiding the eggs somewhere - our neighbours got some marans a few years ago in lay - took them home and the eggs stopped - he was on the verge of dispatching them when the wind blew over the rabbit hutch in the corner of the run and lots of eggs were found underneath it.
he then blocked off this laying spot and they used the nest boxes

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS