Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blocked Milk Duct  (Read 7639 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Blocked Milk Duct
« on: October 03, 2012, 01:58:02 am »
Hi All
one of my milkers has had a lump in her udder for about 3 weeks.
It seemed to get bigger (could have been my imagination worrying about her) so took her to the vet, who drew some fluid off and diagnosed blocked milk duct. She is ordering some 'udder mint?' and I have to massage this lump (like a larger size marble - I think we used to call them 'dobbies?'.
No mastitus.
Anyway, can anyone give me more advice? how should I massage it, flat of hand? squeeze it to try and break it up? or what?
I won't see the vet tomorrow to ask her, OH will pick the stuff up.
Anybody else's goats had this problem?
There always seem to be something to worry about  ::)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Blocked Milk Duct
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 08:19:56 am »
One BS that we bought in as an older milker had a huge lump in the right quarter , she could only be milked out of the one side. so we dried her off and she ended her days in retirement. A small lump could be removed by surgery but is it worth messing her about , she just might be prone to producing these lumps, hopefully it will break up.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 08:39:30 am »
My only advice re udder mint is this, do not rub your eyes, or if your a bloke go for a pee until you have washed your hands!   ;D

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 09:50:01 am »
I would massage it with the flat of my hand, and once rubbed in some udder mint squeeze the lump as well. If you can get it broken up it will break down better.

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 10:22:01 am »
One of my HB heavy milkers seems to be prone to them too, last year she a had a hge lump in the area between her two quarters - most of the summer but it disappeared of it' own accord at some point in the winter. She still has a marble-sized lump just above one of her teats, but it is not painful and doesn't stop m milking - it has been there since she suckled her first batch of kids.
I did use uddermint - but be aware that it has a tendency to dry the skin, so I would alternate between normal udder cream and minty stuff. I was also told to put cider vinegar into their water.
Yes, ALWAYS something to worry about with goats.... and sheep, and dogs, and human kids...

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 11:34:16 am »
You can get uddermint from any fatm store

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 01:14:51 pm »
Thanks All -
The vet didn't suggest surgery, seems to think massaging will get it moving, at least that's the impression I got.
I'll have to remember to wash my hands!

I'll try cider vinegar in water - any idea how much and does it taint the milk (using her milk for 2 lambs while I found out what the lump was, now she's had antibiotic jab - can't remember withdrawal period) one lamb was a bit of a 'runt', but she seems to have got going OK, I don't want to put her off her milk.

Quote - You can get uddermint from any farm store
The vet just said she would order uddermint, I didn't argue, I suppose she'll want to 'make a bit' on it. I've never used udder cream on these girls, sounds like I'd better be buying some, I thought the udder mint was a 'moisturiser' to help with the massaging? - or what does it do?

Googled 'blocked milk duct' last night last night, came up with the human condition, sounds painful, but suggested sucking helped to clear it, would one of these vacuum 'milking machines' help?

Yes, ALWAYS something to worry about with goats.... and sheep, and dogs, and human kids...
True, we also took dog down with a little lump behind his tooth, vet is hopeful it's an age thing - something beginning with 'e' but can't remember the word.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 01:22:33 pm »
re cider vinegar in the drinking water - I just slurp a bit into the buckets in the morning usually, it is topped up (and diluted) throughout the day and then usually just fresh water for the night. I haven't noticed that they do not like, so it's ok all round.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 07:33:25 pm »
Udder mint is good for massaging in cases of mastitis too.  One bonus it that it'll clear you're sinuses while you're using it.   ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS