Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fencing  (Read 9365 times)

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
fencing
« on: October 02, 2012, 02:55:54 pm »
I wonder if you guys have any hints, tips, advice on fencing. Not how to erect it, but how to bodge loose, wobbly, leaning fence posts as cheap and as quick as possible.
I have recently rented a 3 acre field. If it was mine, I would have the whole lot ripped out and all new put back in. However, I have a 3 year contract but with a 1 month clause allowing either of us to get out... so not exactly super secure.
What I don't want to do is put new in and lose the field in amonth or so! My contract states to repair and replace as necessary! To totally replace would cost thousands. Even in part a good few hundred.
Mostly, the posts are wobbly. very! Some are rotten and I will just have to bite the bullet and replace. I was thinking maybe wedge these wooblers with big stones bashed in either side of the posts. the ones that lean I could do similar. We have very poor shallow soils and thick seams of bedrock making driving posts in deep very difficult hence the leaning and wobbling. Some of them may need staking or bracing but the hedge behind is super thick blackthorn and will be impossible to get in there is about 1/2 of the field. There are about 100 wobbly ones, 20 rotten ones and a whole side of leaning post and rail! Secure in most parts but leaning.
My contract states it has to keep my livestock in and be in reasonable condition. I have taken photos of what I 'inherited'... what is reasonable condition when what I inherited is utter shite?
I have emailed all this to the lady who is lovely but very green in all matters agri. I told her what a mammoth task it will be but that I am aiming to repair and replace bits but not the lot, that the fencing is terrible and if I were her I would be angry that I was left with this fencing in my field. She has promised to make me tea whilst I slave! LOL!
Does anyone have any thoughts on my best course of action.
I think the main problem started as my landlady has only just bought the property with the previous sitting tenant and didn;t get a contract sorted til last month when tenant moved out (obviously her tenancy with previous owners lapsed when they moved) and I took the new contract with the new owners. hence the previous tenant had NO legal contract and used the field for a few months rent and tenancy free and the fencing deteriorated rapidly in that time from lack of care, her cutting the catching pens etc to remove her hurdles when she left and not getting the hedges cut this year.
thanks you guys
Lisa x
One patch has about 30 metres totally collapsed and rotted out. I will just pay to replace this too.
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

RichStaffs

• Joined May 2012
  • Stafford
Re: fencing
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 03:13:54 pm »
I think i would patch up any gaps and run an electric fence in front of the existing one. That way you can easily remove it if you lose the field and use it somewhere else.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 03:16:44 pm »
Quick question - what livestock is going to be in there? Electric may be your cheapest option, and you get to take it with you if you don't stay.

[edit] ^ What Rich says in other words. ::)

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 04:33:42 pm »
Dan and Rich.... I have horned sheep! I have put the net up before (very recently) without plugging it into battery and within hours the beasts had trampled 100 metres or so down and my ram lamb got his head stuck....somehow he managed to get it wrapped round his neck FIVE TIMES so I had to cut him out.
I also worry that i will be expected to replace it anyway if and when I leave there so may as well get it fairly ok for my own sheep rather than have to do it for the next person to use!!!
Oooh I have just re-read my contract. It states
"The lessee will provide and maintain stock proof fencing in order to contain animals in the field. it is the lessee's responsibility to keep the field secure and the fences of a reasonable standard."
So, as long as I repair loose fencing, replace damaged stock wire and replace the area that has totally crashed over and my animals stay in, I am covered.,...yes????  :thinking: :-\ :fc: :tired: :idea: ??? ??? ??? ???

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 05:21:28 pm »
Use electric - but strands (wire is best - it caries the charge better, sheep need a good 'whack' cos of the wool) not netting, that way you can take it with you.

I got suckered into fencing 30 odd acres once - and I might stress the landlord paid for materials.

Otherwise its just chucking stuff into gaps as far as I'm concerned. If I'm required to fence it, then my labour will come off the rent and materials will be purchased by the landlord.

Unless, of course, the rent is very cheap/free - I maintain fences on one place I graze in exchange for topping, some lambs for the freezer and a bit of fencing.

At the end of the day - its their land. If you are on a grazing license, you are essentially buying a grass crop.

I've never seen that clause, except where the field is already well fenced, to basically cover the landlord for damage your stock might cause - to include that clause on a field that is not suitably fenced when the contract starts is a little bit cheeky to put it mildly. I would suggest to the landlord that he/she gets her fences in good order before you sign a contract with that clause.

p.s. as a 'fencing contractor' I would bill at £15/hour.

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 05:31:54 pm »
Three strand electric works with horns for us unless there is a really desirable piece of crumpet flirting on the other side in which case its head down and who cares.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 05:54:54 pm »
Bummit Steve! I already signed!
On another few small paddocks I have, my' rent' is that if I maintain it, and just keep my sheep IN it, it's free! Brilliant.
I think the new owners just wanted to cover their backs in case I just let all the fencing go to wrack and ruin and left scot free.
I think I will whack a few more fence posts in inbetween the wobblers, wedge stones into the wobbler gaps, fix stockwire to new posts and then run electric tape round. I will just do a bit at a time to keep costs down and stress minimal. LOL. I have also been offered a few second hand but ok posts and some lengths of wood i can use as braces.
Wha a pain int eh arse!!!!

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 07:01:48 pm »
Ok....if not on site and battery fencer I would not use leccy as you have primitives and the combination could be bad!
What I would do is this.....

find which posts are good big ones that are still ok and use these as straining posts to tighten up the stock fencing that I assume is sagging in between. You will have to use a fencing tool to remove the staples from the wobbly and broken posts. Put wobbly posts back in with a post whacker until reasonably firm then strain fence from one big good post to the next....then reattach fence to the posts between that you have put back in....where there is a potential gap through a broken post you have 2 options....replace the post or....once strained put a road pin through the fence and bang it in! Then repeat to the next post suitable for straining. Use the broken posts  as struts to re-enforce the straining post so it dosent move when strained.

This way you have tightened up the fence that is already there and only expense is some staples, a few posts, some road pins and elbow grease!

www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 07:12:02 pm »
As has been said previously get a few new posts and put them in next to the rotten ones and attach the fence to them. Try to wedge any wobblers that arent completely knackered or remove and reinsert them. If its hard going getting into the ground I find using a long wrecking/crow bar to make a pilot hole helps.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 07:42:18 pm »
A bit of digging but if you have good strainers they will allow the fence to be tight and therefore the wobbly posts aren't much of a problem as the wire holds them up ( whether that be net or wire). The tension  can be improve with radishers ( ratchet strainer) for wire and pullers for net. If you need any info about putting in strainers give me a shout but basically they need to be buried to a good depth ideally half the length they should be in a relatively tight hole and packed with stones using a pinch bar ( stones can be used to improve wobbly post also). They need a stay ( a post cut into the side of the strainer at an angle along the line of tension and buried against a stone (dead mans stopper). A few of them and it would improve the fence remarkably as the posts are there after just there to nail the wire / net onto and the strainers supply the strength to the fence. The cost should therefore not be to excessive, if you don't have the right tools borrow or rent them.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 07:49:14 pm »
Give me a shout when you wanna start hun, I will come and play :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 08:23:39 pm »
I can come too...have fencing tools!
Coffee n cake for energy only payment required  :thumbsup:
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 09:19:43 pm »
Seriously???? You guys totally rock! That would be super amazing. It would be so quick (!!??!!) with three of us...and 2 of you knowledgable and me just desperate to get it done!!!!! When is good for you folk??? I can bring coffees and cakes. My working week is erratic so normally Sundays my only day where I do not have customers or Saturdays when I only work til 12!!!!!!  :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 10:24:33 pm »
Can't do this w/end but can poss do afternoon of 13th or 14th!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 07:53:08 pm »
For the next 2 weeks I am only free Thursdays till 3 cos I am covering the bosses holiday.  Though if you 14th I can book it off!
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS