Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ex battery hens  (Read 5660 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Ex battery hens
« on: May 21, 2009, 11:57:50 pm »
If anyone is thinking of having any, and not sure where to get some, please PM me, and I will give you the link to our rescue website.  Even if you only want a couple for the garden, thats fine!!  They are such endearing little birds, and you soon fall in love with them.  Hopefully they will reward you with plenty of nice eggs.  Our next rescue will be 6th June, and we have co ordinators spread out through the country, so there should be one near you.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
Re: Ex battery hens
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 11:41:28 pm »
We do still have some hens available for rehoming at the next rescue.  Lists will be closing soon, so if you know of anyone who would like some hens, please ask them to go to the web site which is

www.henrehomers.net

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 11:52:58 am »
Roxy, Sandy is thinking of a couple more, adn I might too - I know Jim in Callander, is he your rep too? Or don't you have a rep in Scotland?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 11:58:02 am »
Do you know of a source for shetland. Afriend wants to add to her flock.

sandy

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 09:54:27 am »
OK Anne, you have won me over, I will have some Ex Bat's, I think between 3-5 for now. I looked at the link but there is nothing local, where is the local re homeing centre? otherwise, does anyone know where I can get some ASAP, they will have a nice home.......

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 02:02:04 pm »
Local rehoming is Jim Duff near Callander - about 35 minutes drive.  www.bhwt.co.uk - register on the website and they will let you know when the next batch is being released. Or get them from the same farm as QWOLF
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 05:22:44 pm »
Unfortunately Hehrehomers UK do not have any co ordinators in Scotland ....yet!!  The furthest North one is in North Yorkshire, but more and more people are volunteering to be co ordinators, so hopefully a few people in Scotland will offer to help, and then more people up there can have ex battery hens.

I have nearly 50 from various rescues we have done over the past year.  I sell the eggs at the gate to help pay for the feed, and since the beginning of this year I have sold 150 dozen, plus the eggs we have eaten, given to family and friends etc......I cannot fault those hens - they do lay.  Rehomers have to understand that these are spent hens, but they are only just over a year old.  Some lay for years, others lay very few if at all when they are released.  I have two who lay very wrinkled looking eggs, but I don't mind.  The others make up for it!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 05:38:22 pm »
Would it not be better to combine forces with BHWT?

sandy

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 10:06:11 pm »
Done it, ordered 5 Ex Bats, now I can watch chicken run without feeling guilty!!!!!!!

sandy

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 10:08:22 pm »
P.S, it was Steve who encouraged me, he got annoyed at first with the cost of my chickens and the fact they dug all the bulbs up he had planted and eaten all the leaves on the Roses he also planted but, there he was on Saturday finding snails for them and watching them crack them open like walnuts at christmas, looking forward to getting them 2 days before y birthday!!!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 10:14:52 pm »
Well done Sandy, you are going for it big time now! Going to have your hands full, what what better way to be kept busy eh?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 10:16:06 pm »
Does anyone know who I can contact to request some ex batt's in the central belt of Scotland? I'm looking for 3-4 I guess.

Thanks,

Beth

sandy

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 10:23:19 pm »
I just followed the link on a posting by doganjo, a man in Callender Jim DUff. I love wathcing the chickens so it wil be very interesting and the Ducks will be the icing on the cake, anyway, I need somethin to take my mind off eating!!!!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 10:34:13 pm »
Ok Thanks Sandy  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 10:54:02 pm »
That's where I got mine from and also got two for Eve, who has just joined TAS forum - Hanna and anna.  Remember to say you heard about them from me all of you!  Jim's wife will remember who I am - Allez's Mum lol

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS