Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: getting me some piggers!  (Read 11340 times)

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: getting me some piggers!
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2012, 03:27:15 pm »
its quite easy if you extract milk from your own cow or goat its ok to feed to your own pigs.

we get spoilt veg & fruit from a veg packers station no banned goods on their site just fruit and veg thats also fine.

if we were able to get bread from a bakery that had no meat on site that too would be fine.

why do people want to read what they want to read into these matters and do what they want to do regardless of rules.

i am with lillian i would be ranting a good one if f&m broke out again by some rule bender. my animals are worth more to me than saving a few coppers by feeding banned feed whats wrong with pig nuts / meals its got everything in a pig needs.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2012, 03:45:05 pm »
Crikey.....don't usually go on the pig bit of this forum.....and will go back to the sheep and stay there! I know you cannot feed 'animal waste' to pigs because it might contain meat by products....however cannot see how that applies to spare yoghurt from local dairy nor antibiotic milk from farm up the road....And I am not asking just to have my head bitten off :tired: Can someone point me to the right legislation please!

Its a bit tortuous to get through the whole lot, but start with the Animla By-products Regulations 2005, part 3 article 9 that states

Restrictions on feeding catering waste and other animal by-products
9.(1) It is an offence to contravene Article 22(1)(b) of the Community Regulation (which prohibits the feeding of farmed animals with catering waste or feed materials containing or derived from catering waste) and it is also an offence to feed such materials to any other ruminant animal, pig or bird.
(2) It is an offence to feed to any ruminant animal, pig or bird any other animal by-product (unless it has been processed in accordance with the Community Regulation) other than
(a)liquid milk or colostrum used on the farm of origin; or
(b)in accordance with Article 23(2) of the Community Regulation as applied by regulation 26(3) of these Regulations.

The community Regulation(s) referred to is EC 1774/2002, which is 95 pages long!  Article 23(2) essentially allows meat to be fed to animals such as zoo and circus animals that don't go into the food chain.

Now when you start to get into what is allowed under 9(2), you need to read the whole of the processing annexes of 1774/2002 - to work things like yoghurt out !
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 03:46:37 pm by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2012, 05:16:08 pm »
Just a thought.....it would be much simpler to ban the import of meat products....just in the same way New Zealand does with apples. If we stopped importing meat from countries with F&M like S Africa and Argentina there would not be a problem, nor would there be if we were allowed to vaccinate....but of course that would be much too simple  :-J
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

jennapiggy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2012, 05:36:05 pm »
well its your guys opinion, but ok i agree with the yogurt thing but as the the micro pig i believe that they exist if you get the right one so its fine for your opinion if thats what you want to believe!  :pig:

Mel

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2012, 05:46:07 pm »
Sorry,but if you really do believe there is such a thing as a micro pig,then my dear,you are in cloud cuckoo land! :huff:

And those rules made by defra (and some do seem peculiar)are made to be adhered to-not just willy nilly,you must be responsible whilst looking after these animals. :thumbsup:

If defra actually made a surprise visit and found anything contradictory to the rules,something would hit the fan :o ,and there would be an awful lot of trouble I can assure you of that.

It is not not only responsible but you must at all times keep the welfare of your animals on the top of your list.

Hth!

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2012, 05:49:17 pm »
Very good points WV, but Britain is a free trade country and it would be detrimental to our exports if we were to ban meat imports, also we can not produce enough to maintain a total ban. The government does ban meat and meat products from countries that are riddled with f&m.
On the vaccination, if we were to vaccinate we could not sell animals and have the country foot and mouth free if they are vaccinated against it.
Jennapig- other people have come on here insisting allsorts and refuse to believe what they have been told on here hoping they have some sort of mythical creature that only exists between seller and buyer, and it has resulted in posters leaving and others getting banned when in reality yourself and others refuse to believe that they have been ripped off.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2012, 06:10:39 pm »
Very good points WV, but Britain is a free trade country and it would be detrimental to our exports if we were to ban meat imports, also we can not produce enough to maintain a total ban. The government does ban meat and meat products from countries that are riddled with f&m.
On the vaccination, if we were to vaccinate we could not sell animals and have the country foot and mouth free if they are vaccinated against it.

Oh I know the situation, have been farming for over 30 years! Actually F&M is endemic in both Argentina and S Africa :-\ We do produce enough to not import....if we stopped exporting we could stop wasting food in landfills
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS