Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Muckboots  (Read 17083 times)

peter jones

• Joined May 2009
Muckboots
« on: May 21, 2009, 06:37:46 pm »
I thought I'd found the perfect wellie when I bought Muckboots 18 months ago. Comfy, warm and (of course) waterproof. I've lived in them. However, just a few months after the 12 month warranty expired the heels started to split and let in water. This last weekend the soles started to come away from the upper. I don't work with chemicals, and the strongest thing they've been exposed to is chicken s**t.
I've written to the manufacturer, but they haven't even bothered to reply. The local shop I bought them (not online) from say it is unlikely I'll get any satisfaction, even in terms of some discount off a new pair.
I'd be mildly interested to know if anyone else has had problems but, more importantly, think twice before you part with £75 for these not-so-durable wellies.
Happy hoeing
Peter

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Muckboots
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 08:53:29 pm »

I have had a pair of muck boots for a couple of years now, and have been really impressed with them. I originally bought them for canoeing, and know loads of other folks who use them for this with no problems. The worst damage they've sustained so far is a couple of snags on the outer neoprene lining done by some barbed wire.

Perhaps yours came from a bad batch?  It's a shame you've had no joy from contacting the manufacturers - perhaps it's worth a letter as well?

HTH!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 11:07:10 pm »
Cheap wellies last me 6 months, I make that 4 years worth for £75!  ( Expensive wellies last me 6 months too!)
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 11:44:37 pm »
I know quite a few people who had problems a couple of years back, with these boots.  I thought it was a faulty batch of boots to blame. A friend of ours took his back to the agricultural merchants where he got them from, and they exchanged them no hassle.  They had split down the heel, and he had not had them long. 

Its a lot of money to spend for them to split like that, so I would expect the shop to at least offer a replacement.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 08:00:21 pm »
My 2 year old Hunters have sprung a leak and being worn virtually every day for 2 years (still thought they would last a bit longer than that!).  I have been toying with the idea of Muckboots, but don't feel so sure after reading this thread.  Maybe i am better off with cheap wellies!  My wellies are leaking along the seam where the sole is attached to the upper.  Does anyone have any suggestions for patching the leak?  Its where the wellies crease when I take a step!

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 08:38:28 pm »
cheapo wellies all the way nothing worse spending a few quid on "good ones" then snagging them on barbed wire

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 08:57:31 pm »
Never found a succesful way to patch them.  If they are not too bad, I usually cut them down into slip on "clogs" for nipping out to the herb garden or the barn.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

catomell

• Joined May 2009
  • Knowstone, North Devon
    • West Kidland Farm
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 11:57:09 pm »
I don't know about muckboots, but I do have something to say on the subject of wellies. Every day at approx 6 a.m. I pull on my wellies, and they then stay on until at the very least 7 p.m. Obviously, this varies ever so slightly with the seasons, as in the spring/summer, I generally keep them on till past 10 p.m. Having tried Hunters, and been very annoyed by the wearing on the inside of the heel and my subsequent blisters, I moved to Aigle boots. I haven't looked back. I do not buy the most expensive Aigle wellies, as I simply cannot afford it, but the ones that I do buy always do me well for well over a year, before I wear out the soles completely, and have to get a new pair. Have tried cheap wellies and they only lasted about a week and were very uncomfortable to boot!! ('scuse the pun!)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 07:28:10 pm »
I love my Muckboots although usually I wear Ariat H2O boots unless it's really wet. Love them too - am on my fourth pair but they're now out of production.

sandy

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 08:03:11 pm »
My partner had some Muckboots 3 years ago for Christmas, maybe two years later they leaked but he thought as other people borrowed them they may have torn them!! Anyway we both bought Muckboots last year and almost live in them as you say, very comfy, not leaking as yet, now I wounder if they leak due to spitting, they are expensive, I bought Muddies, the same thing but a different firm...We had some guests who use to sell Muckboots but stopped selling them due to a variation in sizing so poor fitting., What will you buy now? I have never had such comfy wellies, I even use them all the time for dogs walks as they support me better than my walking boots and I do come across mud during most walks, keep us posted, I a interested.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 04:00:56 pm »
We got ones from Cotton Traders like the ones in this link (nearly the same) http://www.cottontraders.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=7140

Sadly they don't seem to do in the summer. I got mine for christmas, and have been wearing them non stop since. They are suede past the wellie base bit, but I have tested them in deep water/mud (at Ayr County Show) and they didn't let any moisture in. I really love these and can't wait for winter so I can get some more! They were £40, but reduced down to £20 in time for Christmas last year.

Bethhttp://

peter jones

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 04:21:06 pm »
Hi Everyone and thank you for all your comments. Interesting to see that others have similar issues with the boot.
Following my visit to the shop where I bought the boots (they thought I'd been a bit hard on the boots?!! ???) I called the manufacturers. Turns out they don't make them, just sell them as is commonplace with many items these days. I have just had a conversation with a very pleasant person from the Muckboot marketing department who invited me to send pictures of the damaged boots via email, which I have done. She agreed that I do not seem to have had my money's worth from their expensive product.
The company will forward on the pictures to the manufacturer and get back to me. I don't expect a free pair, but some acknowledgement of the poor performance will be very welcome. 
I will keep the forum posted on developments, but may well check out a couple of alternatives as suggested meantime.

Thanks again.

Peter

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 04:54:28 pm »
We got ones from Cotton Traders like the ones in this link (nearly the same) http://www.cottontraders.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=7140

Sadly they don't seem to do in the summer. I got mine for christmas, and have been wearing them non stop since. They are suede past the wellie base bit, but I have tested them in deep water/mud (at Ayr County Show) and they didn't let any moisture in. I really love these and can't wait for winter so I can get some more! They were £40, but reduced down to £20 in time for Christmas last year.

Bethhttp://

I got these too but they kept rubbing on my calves so I recycled them to Sandy - don't think she has worn them either.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 05:00:21 pm »
Sandy's legs are too fat I think, they rub my calves as well, I think they stop just where my leg widens!!!!!! so they feel very uncomfortable although they certainly would be warm to sit around in ;D

peter jones

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 09:16:08 am »
Here endeth the Muckboot saga.
Went into the agricultural store to pick up some feed yesterday and came away with an extra item - replacement Muckboots!
It's taken a while and I've nearly developed trenchfoot without proper wellies, but well done to the manufacturers and to my local store for backing the claim.
Peter

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS