Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: York Rare Breed Show&Sale'12  (Read 9350 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: York Rare Breed Show&Sale'12
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 05:31:38 pm »
Did anyone note any sheep prices, esp Hebs? 

I couldn't get to the sale - stuck at home with MANFLU - and I'm a woman so it must be bad (it's just a cold  :unwell: :tired: ::) :-J ;D but the first one I've had for at least 7 years)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 06:05:56 pm »
Oh, I'm sorry about the cold  :-*

Prices were very low all round. I only really saw the start of the ewes but 30 and 40 guineas was typical, the odd one fetching more. Shetland prices were low, Mum and Dad bought some coloured Ryelands for half what they were going for at Carlisle. Even the poultry was cheaper.

I got pathetic prices for my lambs and tup. The people I bought him from last year were there. The wife at least said 'hello Jay' first but his opening line was 'what are you doing!!' about me selling the tup. But no-one wanted him or his lambs, also out of their ewes, so their breeding wasn't that much in demand  >:(

Anyway, I bought a very good shearling and three pretty lambs (not such good breeding as the shearling but not bad). I have just sat with my little flock and I like what I've got  ;D

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 06:51:01 pm »
Wish we had gone. We were prepared ( buns for sarnis, and cakes etc ) as we would like more hens before winter. Unfortunately we decided at the last minute, that the weather was good so we really must get a move on with the bathroom ( no bath, sink, cistern. Just bare plastered walls and a loo pot   :innocent: )

Sounds like a buyer's market today. Really wish id pushed to go  ::)

Shame you didn't get the prices for your sheep jaykay  :bouquet: .

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 06:54:18 pm »
Another time Shaz, tell me what you're looking for and want to spend - happy to buy and foster til they can be delivered/collected  :-*

It was a nice day - bit of a waste when you're indoors all day - though it made driving and moving new arrivals about at home more pleasant.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 10:50:41 pm »
J, sorry you didn't do as well with your boy as you'd hoped - but at least the lower prices meant your dad got his coloured Rylands. :thumbsup:

So glad to hear you say you're pleased with how your flock looks now...  you know what's coming  ;) :D   Pictures please!   ;D

FW - sorry to hear about the cold  :unwell:, hope it gets better soon  :bouquet: :-*

MS - at least you made some progress with the bathroom!   :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 07:45:55 pm »
Made a separate thread in Sheep, with some pics

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 09:45:14 pm »
Another time Shaz, tell me what you're looking for and want to spend - happy to buy and foster til they can be delivered/collected  :-*

Thanks jaykay, a lovely offer.   :-*
The problem is we really don't know what to go for  :thinking: we have 3 hybrids at present and want 2 or 3 more with at least one  that will go broody for eggs next year  :fc: 
Also wouldn't mind a breed we could show at local shows perhaps?? ( not quite sure on this )
Not a flighty breed either as I don't want them popping over the fence to next doors garden  ::) they don't like hens  :huff:

Studying breed books and google at present as OH just about finished second coop to isolate them for a few weeks.  The show would have helped with options and what the breeds do actually look like. Liked the sound of the silkie x Sussex in the catalogue. Won't know what they look like now   ???

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 09:49:33 pm »
Silkies are very cute and of course sit at the drop of a hat.

My Sussex's and my Wyandottes go broody pretty quickly and are nice fat, fussing about hens, not flighty at all.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2012, 07:37:26 pm »
Did anyone note any sheep prices, esp Hebs? 

You could have bought some very cheap hebs at our local rare breed sale on Saturday - 3 yr old tup (Mullach bred) was unsold at 20gns  :(
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS