Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Well done  (Read 10673 times)

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
Well done
« on: September 30, 2012, 09:19:00 pm »
Hi all  :wave:,
This is my first post on the forum, I would just like to say that everyone who was involved with staging today's festival should be extremely proud, it was fantastic  :pig: :chook: :cow: :goat: :sheep:.
I arrived at 9am and could have stayed until the event finished, ( my partner decided that 3pm really was time to come home ), I chatted to numerous people who I have never met before, everyone was so friendly and forthcoming with advice, to my probably stupid questions. There was a super atmosphere to the whole day, and so many people, the event surely must have been a great sucess. Huge thanks to all invovled, can hardly wait untill the next one  :excited:.
Sue

Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: Well done
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 09:44:41 pm »
agree with cheviot, I went along and enjoyed the experience and greatful to the zwartable folks for advice, cheers mojo
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 10:12:49 pm »
Well, I am absolutely cream krackered, but what a great day. Thanks to Rosemary, Dan, Karen and everyone else who was helping (too many to mention). And although i just said there were too many to mention, I thought Erin was great too! I thought we had a great turnout, and I feel like I spoke to so many people.

Have just taken off my socks, viewed my nicely swollen right ankle (nothing like a day on your feet to aggravate a 6week ago sprained ankle), and I am now enjoying a glass of prize winning black currant liqueur!

Beth

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 10:48:25 pm »
Absolutely agree, Rosemary, karen, Bruce, Erin, Andrew, Alan, Dan and all the rest, this is only the beginning, I am cream crackered as well but what a show. Loved it, loved it, loved it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 08:35:26 am by rispainfarm »
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Heyup

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 11:05:34 pm »
Too right; it was an amazing event - well done!  Loved the talks in Demo area 2; grass improvement, pigs for the freezer, soil improvement etc.  I spent a lot of time hanging around by the featheries, hoping that the exhibitor/s of numbers 201 to 205 might appear...  no luck!  If anyone's reading this who has Old English Game Bantams then please reply - I'm looking for more girls (colour unimportant) and a wee cockerel if possible, based Perthshire.

Sad to see no guinea fowl there; looking to increase my own 'confusion'.  A couple of my hens sat this year but no results - my chaps are clearly not up to the job (despite much friskiness!).  If anyone has young guineas or keets in the central Scotland area I'd be delighted to take on some more to increase my 'watch flock'.  The most successful hens I've kept are the OEG banties, who integrate well with the guineas and therefore don't get picked off by Mr. Fox.

Very best wishes to all, and a great event that will hopefully become annual.

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 08:10:20 am »
We had a great day out, even though we left home later than planned as we had to deal with one of our tups who had broken a gate and got in with some ladies he shouldn't have.

Bought some bargain books and met some interesting people although I wish I could have identified more forum members.  The only one I managed to speak to was SallyIntNorth.

Very well done to all the organisers.

Rosadollymixture

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 09:24:50 am »
Hi
I agree with all of the above. 

A great day out for us.  We watched the sheep show with great interest and have started the training for next year.  Hopefully we will be brave enough to give it a go by then.  We showed a couple of our Scots Dumpies and had a good chat with the winner of the group (who also won overall poultry champion).  We learned a lot from him about showing poultry as this had been our first outing with them.  It really is a fantastic platform to promote rare and minority breeds.

I hope all the organisers, judges, stewards and everyone involved in the organisation of the event are enjoying a well earned rest now.

Regards
Jackie  :chook: :chook:                  :knit:   (first prize, what a shock that was)

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 11:31:57 am »
Bought some bargain books and met some interesting people although I wish I could have identified more forum members.  The only one I managed to speak to was SallyIntNorth.

You did better than I did! I managed to buy a badge - it was said on the forum beforehand that they would be on sale (if I remember correctly!), but it took me a while to track one down... And then I wore it, but didn't see anybody else wearing one. So I didn't speak to anybody.  :(

Fortunately my farming friends met quite a few people they knew - they and I enjoyed it hugely, and we are looking forward to next year's show!

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 12:10:58 pm »

You did better than I did! I managed to buy a badge - it was said on the forum beforehand that they would be on sale (if I remember correctly!), but it took me a while to track one down... And then I wore it, but didn't see anybody else wearing one. So I didn't speak to anybody.  :(

Didn't spot you Ina and we have met before so I would have recognised you.  I wasn't wearing a badge but I was looking out for them, maybe everybody else had the same idea ;D

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 02:16:32 pm »

Didn't spot you Ina and we have met before so I would have recognised you.  I wasn't wearing a badge but I was looking out for them, maybe everybody else had the same idea ;D

Ah right - so who are you???

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 02:23:43 pm »
I hope all the organisers, judges, stewards and everyone involved in the organisation of the event are enjoying a well earned rest now.

Regards
Jackie  :chook: :chook:                  :knit:   (first prize, what a shock that was)

My plan for today was to do nothing except breathe, didn't quite work out that way  :innocent:
Have spent the whole morning out fixing pig feneces and moving pigs round about - knackered again, but they're all sorted now and that's the main thing  :thumbsup:

Were you the lady who I gave the massive box of fleece and wool to in the craft area ?
Can't wait to see what you do with it all  ;)

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 02:49:08 pm »

WellyS on NEEPS.  We met at a spinning day and also a housewarming.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 03:05:56 pm »

WellyS on NEEPS.  We met at a spinning day and also a housewarming.

I remember! But whether I'd be able to recognise you... It's been a long while.

Next show (or similar event) we must arrange for a meeting place and time!

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 06:12:46 pm »
Big Thanks to all those that worked hard behind the scenes it was a great day meeting like minded people old and new.
Got a few tickets for the chickens also  :excited:
Cheers!

Rosadollymixture

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 06:38:09 pm »

Were you the lady who I gave the massive box of fleece and wool to in the craft area ?
Can't wait to see what you do with it all  ;)

Hi
Yes, that was me. 
I've spoken to someone who can spin the fleece for me, she was very impressed with the quality of it and  I'm on the lookout for a pattern for the bag of aran yarn.  It is such a wonderful prize.   Thank you.

Jackie

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS