Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted hire trailer  (Read 6586 times)

Jules45_569

• Joined Sep 2012
Wanted hire trailer
« on: September 30, 2012, 02:20:43 pm »
Has anyone got a trailer I can hire I need to pick up 2 pigmy goats. I live near bath

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Wanted hire trailer
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 06:56:33 pm »
What do you drive? I know you're not supposed to but two pygmy goats would go in the back of a large estate/4x4 as long as you could make it 'cleanoutable'.

Mine has a liner tray with 3" sides, so I put down blankets that can go straight in the wash if necessary, the tray comes out and can be swilled down, so I carry one and two goats like this rather than have them rattling around in a trailer. Wouldn't do it to a proper sale, but between private houses.

I'm probably less likely to be stopped up here - depends how good you are at blagging, should someone query it  ;)

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 08:19:46 pm »
Hi where are you picking them from and when and how long do you need the trailer for.

ours is used to move GG's about.
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

Joseph

• Joined Oct 2011
    • Rosemore
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 06:14:26 pm »
What do you drive? I know you're not supposed to...

Wait, if they are pet goats the transport laws don't apply other than filling the AML forms, no?

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 03:02:24 pm »
even if they are to be pets - they have to be registered and if filling in a AL1 you are abiding by transport laws (type of vehicle and reg number etc)

that is why you need a holding number and herd Number
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 03:36:19 pm »
You have to do all the paperwork but I think you could take them in a vehicle rather than a trailer.

Joseph

• Joined Oct 2011
    • Rosemore
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 03:56:35 pm »
even if they are to be pets - they have to be registered and if filling in a AL1 you are abiding by transport laws (type of vehicle and reg number etc)

that is why you need a holding number and herd Number

Yes of course the AML1 forms, but a van is fine, I am pretty sure, if they are pets.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 04:51:03 pm »
Goats count as livestock, even when they're pets. And you have to be able to clean and disinfect your vehicle before and after transport. But also, the area must be not too small and not too big, so they don't get thrown about. So a trailer with no divisions or anything, would not be suitable for two Pygmy goats. Whereas the back of a vehicle that could be cleaned and disinfected, mighh well be.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 05:05:21 pm »
If I ever have to have the goats looked at by the vet, I take them in the back of the peugeot (206 estate).  Got s few funny comments from lads coming out of the pub! 

I straw it down on top of the rubber matting and give it a good clean and disinfect after, my husband sits in the back seat talking to them while I drive!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 05:14:44 pm »
So do I, just being a bit careful about advising others to do so  ;)

Joseph

• Joined Oct 2011
    • Rosemore
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 05:24:37 pm »
Here: http://www.defra.gov.uk/food-farm/animals/welfare/transport/
Council Regulation (EC) No. 1/2005 on the protection of animals during transport and related operations applies to all those involved with the transport of live vertebrate animals in connection with an economic activity i.e. a business or trade. This includes amongst others:
livestock and equine hauliers;
farmers; and
commercial pet breeders.

The Regulation also applies to those working at:
markets;
assembly centres; and
slaughterhouses.

The Regulation does not apply to the transport of animals where this is not in connection with economy activity.  These journeys can be broadly described as those which are:
not in the course of business or trade not for hire or reward.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 05:37:18 pm »
Yea, that's the best argument here - that the animals aren't to do with an economic activity.

Joseph

• Joined Oct 2011
    • Rosemore
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 06:46:19 pm »
Like I said, there are no specific requirement to clean, disinfect or anything else, if your animals are pets and you are moving your pets safely, even a car boot is fine. It is all down to your own good judgement..

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 09:33:23 pm »
I am sure I have seen Adam Henson putting livestock in the back of his truck at some time or other! Most farmers transport sheep in back of their landrover.

If you have a dog crate I can't see why you shouldn't use that.  It is cleanable as has a removable tray.  Even if some dirt gets on upholstery this can be cleaned and disinfected.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 09:47:07 pm »
Like I said, there are no specific requirement to clean, disinfect or anything else, if your animals are pets and you are moving your pets safely, even a car boot is fine. It is all down to your own good judgement..

Unfortunately, DEFRA and SGRPID consider goats to be livestock, not pets. Pets can be buried in your garden, goats can't.

http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farmanimal/diseases/biosecurity/candd.htm

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2003/1724/article/3/made

Now, it doesn't say anywhere that you can't transport livestock in cars. But- they must be able to be disinfected. So, if you transport in a car, you must have a way of disinfecting that you are comfortable with.

We transport our goats regularly in a transit van. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS