Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone used a sock loom?  (Read 10291 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Anyone used a sock loom?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 10:51:27 am »
Guys, I would put money on there being some sort of 'knit and natter' group or knitting circle within 20 miles of each of you.

Rosemary, here's one in Dundee

FiB, I didn't turn one up in Wales but if you ask in your local yarn / hobby store they would likely know of any nearby, or if you do your own search on Ravelry (the one I did to get the Dundee group for Rosemary was search groups / craft=knitting / group type = 'along or stitch-n-bitch'), you can give it 'miles from me' to search in your local area - I couldn't work out how to do that remotely, and I got a LOT when I looked for anything within 478 miles of me!  :D

My local knit-n-natters and spin-n-chins don't have Ravelry groups, just their own threads in a local area forum, not sure how to search intelligently for that type...

With some trepidation, I went to the Carlisle Tulle House Museum Saturday afternoon knitting circle last week.  I was delighted to find a lovely group, completely mixed ages, lots of very helpful friendly people.  It was noticeable and rather refreshing that it was predominantly the younger members helping those of us in our middle and later years...  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 11:45:47 am »

FiB, I didn't turn one up in Wales but if you ask in your local yarn / hobby store they would likely know of any nearby, or if you do your own search on Ravelry

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:   That made me laugh a lot....  Whenever I do a search for something near me there is a usual lack of ANYTHING showing on a internet search map. Its like a black hole or the bermuda bloody triangle here (actually there is lots going on, but not quite recorded on the new fangled www yet!!) - plenty of google map flags in a neat circle about a 10/20 mile radius away.
I'll have a good look at revelry thingy thanks. :bouquet:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 12:44:34 pm »
I can knit - just, but got laughed at so many times when a youngster that i didn't ever get my speed up.  John said he didn't believe I once knitted a pair of socks at school, turned the heel etc so to prove him wrong I did one, started it's mate  - but never got round to doing the second one!   Everything is so busy and instant these days no-one has time to sit down and knit - maybe if we got off our pc's we might :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 12:46:05 pm »

FiB, I didn't turn one up in Wales but if you ask in your local yarn / hobby store they would likely know of any nearby, or if you do your own search on Ravelry

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:   That made me laugh a lot....  Whenever I do a search for something near me there is a usual lack of ANYTHING showing on a internet search map. Its like a black hole or the bermuda bloody triangle here (actually there is lots going on, but not quite recorded on the new fangled www yet!!) - plenty of google map flags in a neat circle about a 10/20 mile radius away.
I'll have a good look at revelry thingy thanks. :bouquet:
There's a Raveler named 'balaknitter' from Bala, North Wales, (and she's not you, I think I I found you  ;)), so I'm guessing she'd be worth a PM (or contact through her website) if the search doesn't turn anything up for you.

Best of luck!  :-* :knit: :knit:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 10:59:40 pm »
Fi, Its a pitty you aren't nearer. I would teach you to knit.
Sally

I'd like to learn to knit. My mum tried to teach me but the knitting ended up so tight, I couldn't get the needles through it  :( A tension problem, in all senses.

Sounds like you are holding the wool too tight.  Try just letting it run through your fingers then it won't be so tight on the needles.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 12:02:45 pm »

[/quote]

I'd like to learn to knit. My mum tried to teach me but the knitting ended up so tight, I couldn't get the needles through it  :( A tension problem, in all senses.
[/quote]

When I first started knitting I was concentrating so hard that after the first scarf was finished my metal needles were bent! Much more relaxed now, think it takes practice.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 06:04:33 pm »
Like most things, you don't start of doing it perfectly but improve the more you do.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2012, 12:20:53 pm »

When I first started knitting I was concentrating so hard that after the first scarf was finished my metal needles were bent! Much more relaxed now, think it takes practice.

Dans

All my needles are slightly bent - mind you, they are usually 2mm needles, and I don't like socks that are knitted too loosely - I've long given up trying to use bamboo or wooden needles, they just don't last long enough! :( But I had the same problem when I first started knitting. At school, we had to knit a hat, and were given a fixed number of stitches for that. Mine was miles too small; it fitted my baby niece, though...  ;D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 09:53:47 am by Ina »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 07:15:58 am »
Someone at my spinning group has just bought a sock loom. She isn't finding it very easy to use.
Apparently if you drop a stitch, which seems quite easy to do, its difficult to pick it up again. She has now given up in frustration.
I don't think I will be buying one any time soon.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 07:51:13 am »
Good to know...  I just did a quick search on Ravelry, and there aren't too many mentions of sock looms but those that are - are selling new or hardly used ones... :thinking: ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS