Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spinning wheels.  (Read 2214 times)

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
Spinning wheels.
« on: December 18, 2012, 04:44:07 pm »
I was looking at German Ebay last night and was VERY tempted to buy yet another wheel. there were so many and cheap too. I was given a variation of a 'saxon wheel' by my old neighbour but it does not have a flyer bit or attatchments for one. You seem only to be able to wind wool on it, so I was looking for parts and similar machines.....couldnt believe how many, and what a variety of designs there were.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Spinning wheels.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 06:10:50 pm »
Mel, do you ever get back to the UK? If you do and come by car then if might be worth your while buying some and selling them here.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 09:04:42 am »
Thanks Bionic there are loads of stuff I COULD transport and sell in both directions BUT I dont want the hassle or really need the money...A five kilo parcel back to the UK is 17 Euro and the next size up 21 so thats not TOO bad

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 08:02:57 am »
Mel, that wheel with no flyer bits - it wouldn't have been a Great Wheel would it?  Also known as Muckle Wheel or Walking Wheel - one that has just a large spindle, you wind the wheel to put twist in the thread, then walk backwards doing the ultimate longdraw making yarn with that twist, then turn the wheel the other way to wind on what you've just made.

Here's one sold recently.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS