Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling pork  (Read 10167 times)

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Selling pork
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 03:08:51 pm »

We've got 8 lambs going to slaughter next month, some spoken for, and advertising them on TAS will make people in our local area aware of what meat we've got for sale, and if they want to buy a half lamb then everyone's a winner.
I would like to buy half a lamb! Or, depending on how big they are (and whether it would all fit in my freezer), a whole one.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 03:11:18 pm »
I would like to buy half a lamb! Or, depending on how big they are (and whether it would all fit in my freezer), a whole one.

Will PM you. :)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 03:25:35 pm »
Isn't that exactly what muddy carrot are trying to do?
http://www.muddycarrot.com

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 04:14:43 pm »
Looks like muddy carrot take rather more of a stewardship role than we will. They act like a shop, with a single basket and checkout process, and presumably they take all the payments too and re-distribute to suppliers.

On here it will be straight advertising, not a shop. You list what you have for sale, how much it costs, and where you are, and interested punters contact you.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 04:16:25 pm »
We will be developing a proper advertising section of the website over the winter.

We'll have a category (or several) for meat, and all members will be able to list their produce for sale, and be linked to their local area. We don't know yet if there will be a charge to post ads, we've yet to get that far with planning.

I'm not sure why it would be doomed to failure? We've got 8 lambs going to slaughter next month, some spoken for, and advertising them on TAS will make people in our local area aware of what meat we've got for sale, and if they want to buy a half lamb then everyone's a winner. I don't see the difference between advertising on TAS and putting leaflets in with our eggs - just making our potential customers aware of what's on offer.

It may not work for everyone, in fact it may not work at all, and some may try to abuse the system, but if we let those be reasons for not doing something we'd never do anything. :)

its a great idea.
ibought my xmas turkey through tas.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 04:21:09 pm »
MAK what a fantastic idea  but sadly will be domed to failure   

Sadly agree with Robert here as it will become just like the farmers markets round here full of back street boys wanting to cash in on buying meat from the wholesalers and passing it off as home reared ::) >:(  at niche market prices

mandy :pig:
I've been to have a look at a local farmer's market this morning. A couple of the stallholders were local I don't know if what they were selling was local though. The was a bloke selling nice cheese who'd travelled 70 miles to get there so not very local. To me the whole point of the farmer's market is that it is locally produced stuff from local producers.
We then went on to the new "Welsh" food centre at Bodnant in the Conwy Valley. Their meat apparently comes from local farms. Same can't be said for much of their other stuff though there's even stuff imported from Italy etc. On our last visit there the wife bought a jar of "Bodnant Garden Honey". When we got home and read the label it said produce of New Zealand! My point is that how are we sposed to have the respect and confidence of the local consumer when the well known places in the "!local" produce field are pulling stunts like this?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 04:23:22 pm by hughesy »

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 05:59:54 pm »
I am an optimist Robert and like Dan says if we can share with other TAS members the news of up coming meat then that may help some producers. I agree that resturants etc may be too awkward to deal with but if just one new passionate cook forms a relationship with a passionate producer then the job is well done.
As for the potentail for back street boys to cash in - well that is up to the seller surely. If the selling price is right and a TAS member does well out of it ( and pays her mortgage or whatever) then what the heck - everyone is a winner. That is assuming the "back street boy" can sell it.
We have all been to markets and spotted "non producers" selling stuff - we choose not to buy it. Would you buy olives out of a wooden barrell from a table top after spotting the London "cash and carry" plastic buckets full of olives under the table ?  I guess not but do you really have an issue with the back street boy who can sell it to some rich mug ?  ;D
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 07:56:24 pm »

We have all been to markets and spotted "non producers" selling stuff - we choose not to buy it. Would you buy olives out of a wooden barrell from a table top after spotting the London "cash and carry" plastic buckets full of olives under the table ?  I guess not but do you really have an issue with the back street boy who can sell it to some rich mug ?  ;D
we have an olive seller in the 'local' farmers market too, i doubt he grows his own.
 his olives are far superior to any you can buy elsewhere so yes, i buy them. i think its more important to support a 'local' trader, rather than supporting tescos.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 10:14:31 am »
From what Dan has said about the way the TAS 'shop' will be set up i think it will be easier for folk to spot the charlatans as most of those who will sell on TAS will have their customers coming to them to collect the produce and can see for themselves the sellers provenance. I hope it works i for one will promote my pork on it when its up and running and see how it goes.
I think when i read the initial comments i was thinking more muddy carrot way or e-bay ???
Anyway as he said if you don't try these things you'll never know if they're gonna work so  :fc:
Mandy :pig:

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 10:58:32 am »
Surely though, people can spot who uses the forum and who has just posted to sell?  I'd trust people who use this forum  :-*

I've sold and brought stuff via other forums and it has always been brilliant. 

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 11:39:06 am »
In an ideal world we would have lots of little "co-op farm shop" type enterprises dotted around the country where us smallholders could flog our wares through.  Each co-op could have it's own local advertising scheme, and the produce available would depend on the seasons etc...

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2012, 12:08:39 pm »
I'd be happy to use the TAS site to promote our pork too. I don't doubt the integrity of the people who use this forum and that ethos is sure to rub off on the casual visitor. As far as the markets go, it's easy for the likes of us to spot the charlatans as we're "in the trade". They're not so obvious to the average consumer though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS