Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken off her feet  (Read 4699 times)

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
Chicken off her feet
« on: May 20, 2009, 11:41:30 am »
can anyone help we have another sick chicken she has gone off her feet. her eyes were going round and round and she was very disorientated. A trip to the vets was not fruitful as he did not know what was wrong just gave her antibiotics. We have seperated her from the rest and she has lost a lot of weight. Today she started eating but is still off her feet has anyone seen this before??? What with losing the 2 cockerals and 5 the fox we're not doing very well.  :chook:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Chicken off her feet
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 12:53:23 pm »
I had a duck do that.  She then toppled into my stream and drowned before I could get to her. When we worked back we realised she was quite old and reckoned it was a stroke
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 01:11:40 pm »
could she have been hurt by the fox. keep her in a dark place and let her rest. sound like some form of brain damage. if she is still going give her some vitamins just in case she is missing something in her diet. I suppose there is no chance she has eaten anything dangerous. good luck.

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 01:23:20 pm »
since we have had the fox problem they have been in a large pen so cant be got by foxes and cant pick up anything poisonous. I must admit I thought she may have had a stroke.I'll see how she gets on over the next  couple of days

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 02:29:16 pm »
I had a young chook with same problem  I bought in a load of chicks for growing on for meat, and for some reason my Polish decided to pick on this particular one and started pecking it terribly - mostly around the head and neck.  If I hadn't got to it she would have killed it for sure.  It was disorientated and falling over - I wrapped it in a towel (chook about the size of my hand) and actually put it in a tupperware jug so it couldn't move or fall over.  It slept for about 12 hours - I gave it drops of water and a little food which it took ok, but it was very happy where it was.

It took a leap from the jug but wabbled everywhere, so I wrapped it again and put it in a small box for another few hours.  In the end as it became steadier on its feet,  I put it in the cage with some very young chicks, where it wasn't challenged, and after a few days it made a complete recovery.  For those few recovery days, it kept sitting back - would stand and sit again.  It took about five days to be strong on its legs again.

Shock more than anything I think.  Be patient, keep it quite and still and just keep an eye on it  - give it a little water on a spoon or bud and a bit of food from time to time and it will hopefully be fine.

Good luck.

Kate  :chook:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

catomell

• Joined May 2009
  • Knowstone, North Devon
    • West Kidland Farm
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 12:15:20 am »
Without wishing to sound cruel, but with the intention of being blunt and to the point, what you are describing I have seen many times over the years - the end of the life...
If I get a hen displaying the symptoms that you have described, it is generally an older hen, who has ceased laying, and it is normally fairly obvious that they are on their way out. I haven't had one with those particular symptoms last more than 24 hours - would be curious to know how yours is doing? Is she still alive?? Best of luck. Catherine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS