Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tell an American about the UK health system  (Read 10542 times)

Carolinajim

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Eastern North Carolina, USA
    • Red Bay Farm
Tell an American about the UK health system
« on: May 20, 2009, 12:16:26 am »
Looks like they want to install a national health system here in the US.  What do you folks like or dislike about your system?
Best Regards,
Jim
www.redbayfarm.com a website about a small 46 acre family owned tree farm
Become Carbon Neutral - Buy Land and Plant Trees

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Tell an American about the UK health system
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 12:40:23 am »
Depends what you mean by a national health system.  Most of our regulations come from Defra, but they don't apply to all people producing food.  If we grow our own veg they don't apply, nor eggs if you have a very small flock - don't remember the number offhand. Bigger animals are covered.  Defra have a reputation for being pedantic to say the least.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 08:28:35 am »
Live in France, where 1/3rd of income is paid into the system.  There is a top up insurance as the mandatory payment does not cover all the costs.  However, everyone I know who has used the system has found it superb.  You do have to pay pay pay for a good system though.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 10:21:19 am »
I love it!! Rarely use it, but love the fact that the system is there for everyone who needs it

Ok, it has its faults and some of the waiting lists are excessive, but in an emergency situation it provides the immediate safety net that's needed

having watched sicko, i'd hate to live in America and rely on being in good health

Carolinajim

• Joined Dec 2008
    • Red Bay Farm
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 11:47:35 am »
I grew up as a military kid and then went on to serve in the US military for quite a while...decades.  So, I don't know much about our current system except that I pay a small premium each month to supplement my government retirement medical plan.

I kind of think I have been using a system similar to the programs in the UK and France for all my life.

I heard there were lotteries for certain kinds of health care.  Wait lists were mentioned.  What does that mean?  Are you prohibited from going to a doctor who can provide the service needed?

What about the wealthy?  What kind of rules apply to them?
Best Regards,
Jim

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 12:06:17 pm »
Just like in the US, money talks over here, there are several private health providers

basically you pay an insurance premium and should you need any treatment they will sort it out for you. Usually without the wait and using the latest/greatest methods and medicines

though there are plenty cases where the wealthy with medical insurance just get pointed in the direction of the NHS (National health Service) for their treatment

the main advantage of going private is that not all treatments are available on the NHS - elective treatments aren't covered - such as plastic surgery. Though some plastic surgery will be treated - i.e. if you've been in an accident. Some patients will get it if they can convince their doctor that they need it because it is causing them emotional or mental problems.

the other main advantage is that you can get treated much quicker

you get instances of oap's waiting years for a cataract operation or hip replacement. In some cases you won't get a cataract treatment on a single eye, they'll wait until both are affected and do them at the same time - which is damn inconvenient.

i'm sure there are loads of other cases where operations take months/years to get sorted (my partners father has to wait 2 years for treatment on a problem he is having with his ankle - though that is in ireland, not the UK)

my own advice is - if you can afford it, get private coverage - as you really don't want to mess about with your health or wait until something gets so bad you need emergency treatment or it affects your quality of life.

the NHS is great for emergencies but i wouldn't want to trust my overall well being and comfort in their service.

And i don't mind paying for it - i'm in good health now and rarely use it, but there are lots of folk less fortunate than me - and one day, i'll be old and i'll be in the hospital every other week needing some part of me fixed up!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 12:28:21 pm »
I unashamedly have Private Medical Insurance. I am self employed and could not afford to be off work for months and months waiting for an operation through the NHS. Last year I ripped my Achilles tendon and treatment and surgery was instant, I could not fault their service. I also think that so long as I can afford to pay for this I am making the NHS queues just that wee bit shorter for others. The NHS do a tremendous service but sadly due to lack of funds (or mis spent budgets) their hands are tied.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 12:48:23 pm »
Sorry, I mis-read that first post - thought you meant health issues as regards small holding - animals, food etc. My apologies. duh!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Carolinajim

• Joined Dec 2008
    • Red Bay Farm
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 07:38:20 pm »
Doganjo, for food, as I understand it we have a similar system.  Personal consumption is ok selling to the public is not without inspection...I believe.

Thanks all for the comments from everyone on the UK system.

How much of UK tax revenue is consumed for health care?
Best Regards,
Jim

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 09:48:51 pm »
http://www.britishcouncil.org/eumobility-living-in-uk-healthcare-nhs.htm

theres a wee bit of propoganda about the NHS for you

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 09:49:50 pm »
Hi Jim, the best and most important aspect of our NHS is the fact that if you are involved in an accident anywhere in the country you will receive hospital treatment if required without any questions about having medical insurance.
JD

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 11:01:22 pm »
My wife is an american and she always complains how expensive the NHS is with our national insurance as a small percentage of her wage. Although I do tell her that some of it also goes towards her pension she still rails on about how cheap taxes are over in the us.
Ian

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 08:06:17 am »
Ha!  She should try working over here.  Literally 1/3rd of salary goes on Health Cover.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 06:58:00 pm »
I think, on the whole, it's pretty good. In an emergency, at least you don't have to worry about bills. It's not perfect - it's run by people and they're not all "Angels" but it's OK.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 04:50:29 pm »
I work for the NHS. I think you can be guaranteed that the care that you get from us nurses is the very best we can offer at any given time, given the short staffing, the conditions we have to work in, the shoddy equipment etc etc. We aint in it for fame and glory, or for the money either, so the only thing that could be motivating us is the desire to do the job and help people.
Emma x
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS