Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wow - what a lot of meat  (Read 8892 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Wow - what a lot of meat
« on: September 21, 2012, 06:28:14 pm »
Got my 2 back today. Dead weight 104 kilos for the 2 of them. I don't know the split between them but was aware that one was quite a bit smaller than the other.
Although the abattoir said a butcher wouldn't want the meat because there was too much fat I don't think it looks too bad to me. The 3rd pic shows about the worst of the fat.  Of course I haven't had the bacon back yet so need to wait and see. Its sausages for tea tomorrow  :excited:
The last pic shows how clearly the slapmark came out so I was very pleased.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Re: Wow - what a lot of meat
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 06:31:02 pm »
I Know when we sent one of my sons GOS we seemed to be eating pork forever.
Enjoy. ;D

Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 06:31:34 pm »
looks good

cooked properly think of all that fat as lovely flavour :-)

making me hungry now...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 06:38:09 pm »
Congratulations, Sally  :thumbsup:  And those chops look just right to me - not too fatty at all.  :thumbsup:

When I first started with our own pigs, BH would keep inviting people around for pork, giving joints away - acting like he was terrified I'd make him eat pork 365 days of the year.  Whenever I cooked a joint he would seem to be actually scared of the amount of meat, and when serving guests would heap it on their plates and try to get them to take some away in a doggy bag.   >:( (Not that I begrudged them the meat, but it made me feel like I was poisoning him!!)

This week we ate the last joint in the freezer, a rolled 2/3 shoulder I butchered myself on arl's course in February.  (Clearing the freezer in preparation for the next pig and the first of the geeps.)  We had relatives staying, so that was great - 3 extra mouths chomping on the crumbly tasty pork.  As they left, BH said, looking worried, "There is some of that pork left, isn't there?"  Yay!   :thumbsup:  He's converted!   ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 06:40:54 pm »
Looks good. Now you can taste your hard work  :thumbsup:

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 07:11:48 pm »
That looks fab - I don't think the fat looks over the top at all, it'll taste amazing  :thumbsup:

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 07:21:39 pm »
I don't think the fat's bad - I've seen much, much more fat (remember - I have Kunekunes  ::) :roflanim:)
They look nice and tasty Sally, that's the main thing  :thumbsup: The thing you've got to remember with abattoirs and butchers is they're normally dealing with modern/commercial breeds of pig - fast growing and lean in comparrison to the traditional/rare breeds which most smallholders keep.

Did the butcher freeze everything for you ? When you do your next 'batch' it might be worth asking them to blast freeze the pork which isn't getting used/sold - so much easier (and less strain on your freezer) to put it in ready frozen  ;) :thumbsup:

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 07:22:03 pm »
It looks perfect  :thumbsup: Enjoy.
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 07:38:37 pm »
Karen,
he didn't freeze anything for me. It was all (apart from the sausages and my leg for air dried ham) in vacume packs.  I have 2 empty freezers so its all gone in there so as not to disrupt anything already frozen in the other one.
Its a good tip about asking him to blast freeze though, thanks
Sally

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 07:45:42 pm »

Sally it looks great, well done. :thumbsup:
Anne

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 09:52:20 pm »
 :yum: :thumbsup:

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 08:08:52 am »
i didn't think too fat either    looks great :thumbsup:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 08:17:40 am »
Looks good to me too. Enjoy !

I am curious. How much do they charge these days for -
1. Abbatoir service
2. butchering a pig
3. making bacon
4. making sausages.

Make sure that you do not give too much of that precious meat away - it looks a lot now but I am sure that you will work your way thru it.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 08:24:09 am »
Mak, the abattoir costs and arm and a leg  :( 
I have nothing to go by as I haven't done this before but this is the breakdown
Slaughter and cutting £85. He charged £45 for one and £40 for the other as she was a bit smaller.
Vac packing £20
16.34 kilos of sausages £31.04
total £136.04
Sally

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 08:44:06 am »
Wow Sally - I don't think I could afford to keep my pigs if I had to pay such costs. The economics of pig keeping are pretty bad arn't they. I know that there must be an economy of scale to reduce such costs but no wonder most UK meat is mass produced.
Did you say you did a butchery course? Good idea!

I bought a new "hunters" butchers kit in a nice case for about £85. we did a home kill ( 2 pigs) and I paid my neighbour a bucket of blood ( he returned me 6 small black puddings) and the "master of the hunt" a bottle of whiskey. I plan to use the butchers kit on our next 2 pigs in December. it is not that difficult to butcher a pig - oh we made our own sausages using a 30 year old Kenwood mincer that Chris had ( skins and spice cost a few quid as did the bacon salts).

cheers Martin
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS