Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pre tupping vaccinations and nutrition  (Read 2609 times)

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
pre tupping vaccinations and nutrition
« on: September 23, 2012, 09:00:05 pm »
just wanted some advice on any vaccinations which would be beneficial to my ewes prior to tupping, i was thinking i would worm them perhaps two weeks before with an all round wormer like combinex? will these be enough or do you vaccinate against any other diseases? secondly my 8 ewes are on around 2 acres of lush pasture and providing we don't get any snow this year i am hoping not to have to supplement their food, i was wandering if it would be worth putting a high energy mineral bucket in their field or is this not really necessary? any help would be much appreciated, our first time lambing so lots of questions best answered by fellow smallholders in the forum.  ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: pre tupping vaccinations and nutrition
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 09:34:58 pm »
We've just done ours for toxoplasmosis and chlamydia. TBH, we've never bothered before, but we've started showing them so they're out and about a bit, so better safe than sorry. We also got the offer of the spare doses from a friend  ;D . Both toxo and chlamydia cause abortion in sheep; vaccination has to be at least four weeks before the tups go out. However, if you have a closed flock, away from other sheep and don't have any problem with abortion, I wouldn't bother personally.

Ours are on Heptavac P Plus programme, but the annual booster for that is 4-6 weeks before lambing, not at tupping.

We always fluke ours at this time of year and test for worms and worm if required. The only time we routinely worm is at lambing time. If you can subdivide the 2 acres into four small paddocks it would probably render wormer redundant as you'd be able to rotate your grazing.

Ours have rock salt and a yellow Rockie all the time and I give them a Crystalyx Standard over winter. I'm going to give them a bit of bagged feed in the two weeks before the tup goes out, while he's out and for a couple of weeks after, but they're on really crap grazing just now.

For the six weeks before lambing, I give the ewes scanned with twins some bagged feed as well - but I won't be feeding the ones with singles in the hope of avoiding any C sections next year.

Don't forget your tup's health too - he's half the flock. Especially his back feet - if he's not comfy on his back feet, he'll be less keen to work.

HTH

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 09:39:05 pm »
If you fluke dose, makes sure you read the small print as some flukicides mustn't be used at tupping time.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 10:27:01 pm »
And if you are under any risk of orf you might like to think about introducing a 3 in 1 bucket perhaps?

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS