Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep and pygmy goats  (Read 3271 times)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
sheep and pygmy goats
« on: September 20, 2012, 04:43:29 pm »
I have been reading kulers post which breed? with interest as I too am thinking about getting a few sheep mainly to be lawnmowers. However, is it wise for them to share a field with pygmy goats? I have read quite a few older posts which would indicate to me that sheep and goats should be kept seperate. Your views will be appreciated
Mojo
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: sheep and pygmy goats
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 08:26:01 pm »
I have been reading kulers post which breed? with interest as I too am thinking about getting a few sheep mainly to be lawnmowers. However, is it wise for them to share a field with pygmy goats? I have read quite a few older posts which would indicate to me that sheep and goats should be kept seperate. Your views will be appreciated
Mojo
Unless you are certain that nobody has got worms and your land is clean too, I would keep them separate. I don't know much about the feeding regime for pygmies as I keep large dairy goats, but if feeding concentrate it would be best to keep them separate at mealtimes.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 08:46:41 pm »
We keep soay and castlemilk moorit with our pygmy goats and have no problems.  We only have small numbers of each and we worm all of them twice a year and have no problems.  The pygmies rule the sheep field and have their own house which they won't let the sheep in because it's theirs and that's it or they'll show them a thing or two  :rant: .  It started as a temporary thing having the pygmies in with the sheep due to major renovation works we are still doing so they are still there one year on, and will be until the spring when they get their own field back.

It's all run smoothly so far no problems at all, everyone healthy and happy, they all mind their own business.  I recon so long as you are not over-stocked and you have a good sized field (important to have space I think) where they can all create their own areas relatively in it, it should be fine. We tend to feed the pygmies in their own shed but I see the sheep pinching any food they leave which isn't a problem as they can eat the same food.

So long as they are not living on top of each other and you buy in healthy stock in the first place it should be fine.  There was also a field in a place called Jedburgh where the owners kept goats and sheep together for years, possibly still there. Just make sure the sheep you get would be ok eating the type of food your goaties eat (we feed our goats ewe and lamb mix anyway which they prefer to goat mix).  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 08:53:49 pm »
My pygmy's are just like Goosepimples - leave a bit of their sheep crunch but at the moment the ducks hoover it up.

Just the way our set up works but we keep them separate but now and again I bring some sheep in as the pygmy's never keep on top of the grass and I am very loathed to use the mower to cut their paddock - so with planning it's certainly possible.

Also we've kept orphan lambs in with the pygmy's as they are close to the house - again with no issues although the lambs did often nab one of the goat pens for a snooze (very cute).
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS