Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Winter Project: Kubota Tractor  (Read 4418 times)

Scrumble The Goose

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Berwyn Moutains
Winter Project: Kubota Tractor
« on: September 19, 2012, 04:49:45 pm »
Hi all
We have a Kubota Tractor that I bought off eBay with a rotovator. Anyway, its not done much (about 450 Hours) and I serviced it last year, all works well.

However I want to give it a coat of paint and a general smarten up. I'm OK with mechnics (well I get by I suppose, sort of 4 Spanner type of level in the Haynes books but I digress...)  the thing is I have never pained anything metal.

So I have a few rust spots to deal with...whats the best way to deal with them ? Bare in mind that some of them are in difficult to get at places (like between the grill elements).  Rust remover, stell brush ...?

Lucky for me the paint is brush - on - able so I won't need to learn how to spray paint....

Any tips?

Cheers

A (aka Scrumble the Goose)

JFDI

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Hertfordshire
Re: Winter Project: Kubota Tractor
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 09:07:46 pm »
I had serious rusting on my muck trailer and painted it with Rust Bullet which has done a brilliant job.  It seems to bond rather than dry and has put a very tough layer onto the steel.  Pricey but a new floor next year was going to be more expensive

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 09:50:05 pm »
What model do you have? I've just spent the evening stripping down the starter motor on our grey market l1501dt. Found a knackered connection to the brushes which explains the total lack of starting. When she runs she's great for our simple needs and the engine doesn't get more basic which suits my basic mechanical skills down to the ground.

JFDI

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Hertfordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 10:12:04 pm »
Starter motor went on mine too, but nothing else.  Well engineered.

Scrumble The Goose

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Berwyn Moutains
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 08:01:51 am »
Thanks for the replies.

We have a ZenNoh ZL1500 which of course is a Kubota (L75...If I recall...I'm in the office doing my day job at the mo..so haven't got my Farming head on).
See the  http://www.orangetractortalks.com/  website for a history of the ZenNoh - Kubota thing.

I managed to get a workshop manual from the US (eBay ...again) and that has helped alot. I have a dodgy alternator also, although I haven't looked at it properly yet, just won't charge the battery. Maybe the usual diodes or brushes inside the alternator. Easy enough to fix.

(The manual covers quite a range of Kubota's smaller tractors L75 and so on) so if anyone wants me to look something up or scan a few pages & email over, that's fine. Just let me know).

If you have one of these grey import Kubota's dressed up as a ZenNoh, then don't mention that to a Kubota dealership, they'll refuse to serve you. There's a chap who can supply almost anything for Kubota's, particularly the ones Smallholders buy (ie little 2 Wheel drive 20 - 30 hp things) and is quite knowledgeable about them as well. Good prices on spares & fast service. I'll dig out his email address & Website URL and post it here.

I fitted a roll bar to mine. 3 years ago I got quoted something like £250   VAT for one, and when I had a look at the photographs, it didn't offer much in the way of protection. Problem being that when my Kubota was made there was no requirement for a roll bar type of safety device, and therefore no substantial supports or mounts for one where fitted.

In the end I had the local agricultural engineer (alright, Blacksmith or "Hugh the Gas" to those who know him) make me one. He did a great job and all it cost me was materials (£85 in steel, mainly off cuts) and an hour or two of PC support. 

If you get stuck with Radiators for the Kubota (or similar) then I can recommend Wrexham Radiators. They fixed up a blown radiator for me, for £65, good as new. Saved me nearly £200 as opposed to buying a new one! I know they offer a postal service and are really helpful. Small Father & Son business.

I'll look up the Rust Bullet stuff and see how I get on.

Its getting a bit parky in the mountains, so I'll be on log lugging duties this weekend. :relief: 

Bye for now :wave:

A (aka Scrumble The Goose)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 09:16:51 am »
Hi Scrumble :wave:   I'm just up the road from you near Bala so if we ever get enough £££ together to get a Kubota, I'll be picking your brains!  Happy painting, we are caravan demolishing, sheep 'MOTing' and tractor bridge building this weekend, oh and log splitting like you.  Hwyl Fawr, Fi

Scrumble The Goose

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Berwyn Moutains
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 12:47:59 pm »
Hi Fi

Oh cool. I've done the log splitting, in May, just a case of lugging it around to the house. Cool on the tractor brigde..do tell me more, as I have a stream to put some sort of bridge accross next year.

Have you considered bartering for tractor time ? I "rented" out my rotovator swapping it for two sacks of spuds & a pile of carrots.

PM me if you want to chat!

A (aka Scrumble the Goose)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS