Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electric Fencing  (Read 2757 times)

Goldcraig

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Ayrshire
Electric Fencing
« on: September 19, 2012, 07:58:43 am »
Good morning, trust everyone is well today....?

Part of "the plan" when we moved to Goldcraigs was to have horses in one of our fields. One has arrived and the other arrives at the weekend. Although we have standard post and rail fencing. I wanted to intorduce some electric fencing for strip grazing in the big field we have when I need to maintain / rest the other paddock , stable building, so my question is. Our kit has 40 posts and 200m of ttape, should we put up two lines of tape (as in top and bottom of the posts), or will one suffice ??

As always, thanks in advance for your help....
Trust me.....I'm a Chef !!

JFDI

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Hertfordshire
Re: Electric Fencing
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 07:51:12 pm »
I'm catching up but this may be too late to be useful :(.  Anyway....

Depends on the horses.  We have two 17h boys and a companion pony.  The big lads are quite old and very old and don't bend too well, so a single high line of tape would be fine for them.  The pony is about 6, a lot smaller and very flexible.  He can limbo dance and jump, so two lines of tape are needed so he goes neither over nor under.

For strips I use tape on reels cos it's a pain handling the tape when you take it down. 

I'd also suggest one line of tape on stand-offs on the post and rail, just to protect the fence.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: Electric Fencing
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 09:56:17 pm »
My feild has only flimsy/nominal fencing (I am a cheapskate) I use a ring of tape/posts to cordon off a certain area and then an off-cut of tape and a few posts that advance daily down the ring....I only occasionally need to use electric....shhush dont tell my horse..
When there is nothing left the whole ring moves down a space and he strip grazes the next bit. One of my rings lasts about 10 days when its dry longer when its growing...so  he returns to a ring every 5/6 weeks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS