Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ryeland with foot problems??  (Read 2307 times)

tobytoby

• Joined May 2011
  • north ayrshire
Ryeland with foot problems??
« on: September 19, 2012, 12:19:06 pm »
I noticed a limp in one of my ewe lambs. On closer inspection its front hoof needed a trim, whilst trimming i noticed that the black outer casing of the hoof had separated from the whiter inner part - is this normal or is it more sinister?? This is the first time i have trimmed sheep and was doing ok, but bad light stopped play. I will pen them all up this weekend and check them all out.

My ground is probably no wetter than anyone elses in Scotland, and the 5 of them get rotated weekly over to paddocks of 5 acres?

Is the separation of the black from white inner part of the hoof normal - there was no abnormal smell from the foot.

Thanks

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Ryeland with foot problems??
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 01:37:16 pm »
Sounds normal if you would describe it as a bubble filled with soil /dirt  small stones which cause the lameness, if so trim to allow new growth to form normally . should be no smell or red ness

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 01:43:47 pm »
one of my ryelands was lame at the weekend. Trimmed her feet, sprayed with terramycin spray and she's good to go again now. All fluttery at the tups in the next paddock  :eyelashes: I'm sure some times they just hobble a bit just to see if we're on the ball or deliberately find a stone to go and stamp on all casual like  :innocent: . Ahh sheep wonderful critters  :sheep:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 01:59:19 pm »
Happens with some of mine - trim and spray usually does the trick.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 08:33:20 pm »
On my lambs that are half ryeland this has happend, also soft and peely on the ryeland crosses and then after checking the other breeds to get rid of this problem I noticed that they didnt have it and had nice hard clean feet instead.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS