Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: coughing ewe advice please  (Read 3703 times)

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
coughing ewe advice please
« on: September 18, 2012, 11:31:30 pm »
Hi, my two year old ewe has been coughing for the past couple of weeks, i wormed her and fluked her in the first instance then spoke to the vet who suggested it might just be a mild infection and was told to administer pen strep for 3 days then leave for 5 days and her coughing seemed to ease a fraction. (n.b she only coughs if she is running around with the others) She seemed to be fine until tonight.
Whilst doing my late night check i noticed she has rattly breathing, no coughing just the breathing. she doesnt have a temp and she is eating fine. There is no mucous and her eyes/gums etc look fine (albiet by torchlight) Her hay isnt dusty and she is out in the field with the others i was thinking she may have pneumonia (but wouldnt she have a temp?).
I will of course speak to the vet first thing and get them out if required but i wondered if anyone has any suggestion. I have looked through all my books but cant find anything similar. she had her hep vac booster about a mth ago with her worming.
should i try worming her again? she was wormed with combinex (dont want to overdose her)
None of the others have any problems its just her
I would be grateful for any advice given in the interim

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
Re: coughing ewe advice please
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 04:51:35 pm »
I missed this what did the vet advise?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 04:56:21 pm »
Likely to be pneumonia, vet will know which a/b is best in your area, or lungworm - we've had a lot of this this summer, the wormers work but only for a short period however it gives respite - again, check with vet what wormer to use after Combinex, or the only other thing which came to mind is cysts caused by tapeworms, which I think are untreatable  >:( so let's hope the vet came up with something!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 08:43:34 pm »
Hi all,
The vet did'nt seem to worried as she doesnt have a temperature and is'nt off her food,
He thinks its just the original infection that didnt clear with the pen & strep so he just advised a stronger antibiotic injection (zeprevo) and some metacam incase there is any swelling. He said i should see an improvment in the next 24-48hrs. so  :fc:  although saying that there was no rattling whilst i injected her so maybe its just me over-reacting.  :-[

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS