Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Knitting in the round part 2  (Read 8635 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Knitting in the round part 2
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 03:32:19 pm »
Good on yer Alistair  :thumbsup: They look very warm and comfy. :knit: :excited:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 04:38:53 pm »
My wife doesn't want them  :roflanim:

They're not fingerless, and that's what she wanted....

Should've listened but didn't like usual, ah well started a new pair now, without fingers

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 05:13:56 pm »
Defo fingerless  :knit:  - can't feel what your doing otherwise  :thumbsup:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 05:33:52 pm »
Oh no! After all that work! Could you 'convert' the pair you've made to be fingerless?

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 05:36:21 pm »
or it could be a ready made xmas present for someone  :innocent:

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 09:43:29 pm »
Or even the start of your stock for when you go semi professional.   ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 12:29:19 am »
I use fingerless too - but there are times when you need a covering !  Someone will be grateful for them - possibly even your wife if we get another long cold winter...  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 09:13:15 am »
Ready made Xmas present me thinks, thanks for your support, not sure I'm fast enough to go semi professional, they'd let me see now, they'd have to retail at about two hundred pounds if I was going to charge for my time, any takers?

They are blue, that's got be worth a premium?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 10:01:26 pm »
Charging for your time?   :roflanim: :roflanim:  Whatever made you think you could charge for your time?  Not a living wage anyway.  I'd probably still be doing it if you could.  I reckoned on working for £1 an hour when I was a weaver/knitter and that was only 18 years ago.  I could earn about three times that for washing up in a kitchen.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 07:38:36 am »
Thats a great pair of mitts. I'm very jealous I've never tried round needles? ( not heard of them  :dunce: )

Should look into this I think as your mitts look great, gonna have to try to knit a pair to match my hat once it is finished  :knit:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 08:57:43 am »
Mammyshaz, I am knitting a jumper on circular pins and kind of wouldn't do it any other way - too much stiching up!   :knit: :knit:

When I do socks, gloves or sleeves, I do them on 4 or 5 straight pins; I can't manage the very short circular pins, the straight part isn't long enough for the way I hold and use my needles.

So if you do have a go, I'd suggest you try on something larger first to see if you like circular pins at all.  If you try it with socks or gloves first you may not like it and never try the larger ones.  And if you do like it and want to try it for socks or gloves, I've got a wee circular pin somewhere you are very welcome to have (if I can find where I've hurled it in disgust...  :roflanim:)

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2012, 10:00:47 am »
I'm totally addicted to it now, it's really absorbing.

Mammyshaz, thanks for the comments, I think I said earlier I'm using something called the magic loop way of doing it, unlike Sally I just couldn't get the hang of having 4 needles on the go (and I did try when I found the ones Id mislaid) and a cable needle and some wool, so I gave up with that, so it might be worth doing a search on magic loop knitting, took me a day and mud
H help from on here  :thumbsup: to get the hang of it.

Basic pattern for those is 5mm circulars, cast on 34 stitches, k1 back, p1 (twisted rib) for 2inches, then increase to 38 stitches and off you go for 20 rows in your chosen pattern, form thumb hole in rows 21and 22 and hen continue to row 49 decrease in for next 5 rows do dec stitch dec p dec stitches dec and then close it together.

That's the worst pattern I've ever seen, sorry

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2012, 09:40:23 pm »
I'm really going to need to research this circular knitting. First stop,mum, sgphe has knitted for years. Wish mum in law was still here, I miss her so much. She taught me lots with knitting  :love:

Thanks for the offer Sally.
I did inherit my grandma's needles when she couldn't do it anymore. There is a tight 'u' shaped needle. Is this a round/circular. If so, then I already have one  :excited: , if not then I'd love to try yours. Must look up what I'm getting into  :roflanim:

If there is no stitching together ,I'm all for learning. I HATE the stitching up  ::) . MIL took my last two knitted cardigans and stitched them up for me, she was so fed up of waiting to see the finished products  :roflanim:

Now look what you've done alistair! Nothing will get done for months now, with learning all these new skills  :excited:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 09:45:38 pm by Mammyshaz »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2012, 10:16:32 pm »
Yes, Alistair, you've started something now.  I'd never heard of magic loop knitting despite having knitted for more years than I want to think about, so I just watched a video on youtube.  Now I want to have a go.  Anything to avoid sewing up.  I have even knitted the body of cardigans in one piece up to the armholes to avoid the need for seams.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2012, 10:22:52 pm »
If I'm on the right lines this should show you circular needles

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=circular+needles&aq=f&sugexp=chrome,mod%3D0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&authuser=0&ei=KMNkUP7EAcSn0AXpooDgBA&biw=1639&bih=812&sei=K8NkUIW2LOTC0QWOvYHYBg

I'm in love with knitting on circulars, even knitting a shawl flat but using the circulars as it gives more space for the stitches.

Have been told that you can't knit socks on circulars because of the heel. Anyone know more about that? DPNs scare me.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS