Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I thought my fleece was clean  (Read 3437 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
I thought my fleece was clean
« on: September 25, 2012, 11:15:35 am »
I washed and rinsed my fleece several times before carding. Having just moved the drum carder I don't think I did a good job of washing in the first place  :(
Sally

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: I thought my fleece was clean
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 07:44:00 pm »
Is that your spun wool in the background, looks fantastic

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 07:44:46 pm »
Oh, and is the drum carder remote control?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 09:58:04 pm »
You can wash the rest out now it's spun or even after you have made it up into something.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 09:58:40 am »
Alistair, I only wish that was my spun yarn. No mine is much more of a hit and miss affair than that as you can see from the pic.
The drum carder needs to be wound by hand but I have found it sooo much easier than hand carders. Unfortunately an electric carder costs about £1200 so I won't be getting one of those  :(
MGM, I washed the spun yarn in the pic on Monday, 2 washes and 3 rinses, and it feels much softer now. There is a debate over whether to put a weight on the bottom when its drying or not. I have chosen not to because I don't want to loose the elasticity in the yarn.   
My next task is to wind it into balls and then weigh it so that I can determine how much I have to make something with. Jumper for OH seems to be the favourite idea if there is enough. I still have some of the carded batts to spin so I am sure there will be.
This is all new to me so I am learning as I go along.
Sally

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 10:15:01 am »
looks good Sally  :thumbsup:

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 11:25:38 am »
That yarn looks fab, Sally  :thumbsup:

My next task is to wind it into balls and then weigh it so that I can determine how much I have to make something with.

Errr....  not sure the weight is a very reliable indicator, especially at the stage we're at...  Ravellers talk about using yardage as the measure, rather than weight.  My earlier spinnings were very dense, so less yardage per ounce.  Now I'm getting better at woollen draw and at controlling the diameter and being more consistent, I can get a lot more yardage out of a packet of fibre.

If you count the turns as you wind onto the niddy noddy, then you have the yardage.  Apols if I am mentioning this as the horse's hooves disappear into the distance and the empty stable door creaks swinging in the wind...  ::)

Another idea would be to knit a swatch or two (of course you'll do this anyway, that is, you will if you are more disciplined than I am  :roflanim:) and weigh that... should give a prety good indication?  :relief:

Having said all of which, I think jaykay used weight for her awesome purple jumper - but then she was spinning quite fine and very consistent yarn. (Need emotiwotsit for green-eyed with envy!)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:27:56 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 11:31:33 am »
Thats really interesting and I am sure you are right about yardage rather than weight.
I wish I had heard about the niddy noddy measure before. I think todays task will be winding it all back on the niddy noddy bit by bit, before I wind into balls. Better get my calculator out too. Once I have a better idea of what I had got I can start  :knit:
thanks
Sally

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 10:18:56 pm »
And don't forget the pics of the finished article.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 07:29:17 am »
Salty, your spun wool looks lovely  :love: I wish mine looked so good, but it will get there with practice ( may be still practicing for perfection for a few years yet   ::) )

Definitely a piccie of your finished item  :eyelashes: to spur me on  :knit:  :knit: . ( Still no spinning emotiowhatsit Dan??  :eyelashes: )

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 09:25:14 am »
MGM, Mammyshaz, you will both be old ladies before this jumper gets finished. I have promised OH for about 7 years time  :)
Sally

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 10:21:48 pm »
Forgot to say, your spun wool looks pretty good to me.

BTW, did you know the term spinster dates back to the time when it would be the daughters of the house who did the spinning so that makes you a spinster.   ;D

I must be one of the only women in the world who was married to a spinster.   :roflanim:

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 10:39:09 pm »
MGM, Mammyshaz, you will both be old ladies before this jumper gets finished. I have promised OH for about 7 years time  :)
Sally
Unless his jumper ends up like mine, on its way to being a cushion cover - easier to do apparently  :knit: ::)
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS