Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice needed re giving quarry tiles a makeover  (Read 21848 times)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Advice needed re giving quarry tiles a makeover
« on: September 18, 2012, 10:10:51 am »
Not sure if this is the right place to put this post, but I'm sure Dan will move if it's not.
Can any one give me any pointers as to giving  quarry tiles on a kitchen floor a makeover. I don't know how old they are.  They are differents shades of brown really rather than red and my husband is reluctant to replace/cover over them (which would be my option), but I'm sure that they could be made to look a lot better than they are. :idea: 's

Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Advice needed re giving quarry tiles a makeover
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 11:25:20 am »
These types of tile are usually very strong and laid in a good bed of mortar like a cement.. The durability depends a lot on what's the tile are laid on...

What's under the tile?? Is it a concrete slab or is it a regular wood frame floor... On concrete the good quarry tile is almost indestructible..On a regular wood frame floor, there can be a lot of cracked tile and bad grout joints..Especially if some heavy loads have been pushed along the floor...

You need to get down on hands and knees and look closely at all tile and joints... See how much damage there is ,,if any... These type of tile usually have wide grout joints( (about 3/8 to 1/2 inch)..So digging out any badly cracked grout is not too difficult... Most of this type of work can be done with a screwdriver  and hammer ...Like using a chisel...Regrouting is not a hard job.
If the grout isn't too bad you may be able to get away with just de-greasing them and re-polishing/finishing them. The tile supply stores have a lot of products that can be used to clean, enhance, polish, and seal,, both the tile and grout. It might be worth asking at your local DIY store and i think B&Q have leaflets on how to do this type of thing
HTH
mandy  :pig:

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 11:29:48 am »
http://www.ruabonsales.co.uk/docs/tech-sheet-10-clean-maint-0407.pdf

This link goes to the cleaning & maintenance advice from a manufacturer of quarry tiles.

There's a section on restoring older floors using HG products.

Hope this helps

Sue

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 04:48:39 pm »
Dig them up - dig up another 2 foot of soil and spoil - replace with proper membranes, insulation and concrete with screed top.  Clean tiles with a small brush and relay ;)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 05:17:48 pm »
You must be joking.  :roflanim: It's me that's got to do it, not the OH and I'd need a big digger to dig out 2 foot of soil as it is solid rock here.
I'll stick with the cleaning. Have ordered an HG product hope it works. :-J
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 10:28:09 am »
I'd  keep them, they can look very architectural - sometimes its the type of units you have with them that can make them look architectural or not - so then, on to the kitchen units .....   :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 10:46:57 am »
I'd keep them and clean them, folk pay a lot of money for rustic kitchens with quarry tile floors.

As Goosepimple says, sometimes the colour of the cabinets and worktops helps with the look of them - depends whether or not you want to enhance, or diminish the redness.

ramblerskitchen

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 08:22:31 pm »
HG products work really well. Use a product to remove all the build up of grease and dirt and then get the product to seal them.  Spend lots of time scrubbing and cleaning the grout

They will look like a new floor.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS