Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep scab  (Read 10449 times)

mark@farmhouse

• Joined Mar 2012
Sheep scab
« on: September 14, 2012, 11:06:53 pm »
Hi everyone I have heard scab is on the increase but never seen it what are the symptoms and can you vaccinate against it and if you get it how do you treat it the article I was reading never explained how to deal with it just said it was an airborne mite I think

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Sheep scab
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 07:49:11 am »
Symptoms - very itchy sheep, rubbing on fences etc, lumps of wool coming off leaving red scabby flesh.  Plus your neighbours offering to dip your sheep for you.  ;)

Dipping works but requires licensed operatives.  Some injectables cover scab, eg Dectomax.

It's caused by a mite (Psoroptes ovis) and as far as I know is not airborne.  But the thing persists on fences, gateposts and things, so you have to treat your entire flock at the same time, as do any fence-sharing neighbours.

(We haven't had it, so all of that is what I am told and have read, rather than firsthand experience.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 12:34:51 pm »
You can't vaccinate against it and for a small flock the easiest treatment, if you are unfortunate to get it, is by injection, as Sally says.
It's not normally airborn, though would be possible if a wisp of infected wool got blown away. Transmission is therefore from another infected sheep, either by direct contact or from some wool caught on a fence. The mites can live for up to 14 days on a bit of wool.
One of the most common ways of it spreading is through markets, which is why, if in doubt it is best to isolate any new stock of unknown origin for at least 14 days.
My flock caught it some years ago. I lent out my ram and he came back with it. Unknown  to me, the person I lent him to bought some more ewes from market and they were affected. He realised, injected them all, including my ram, then gave me the ram back without telling me. So, as he hadn't waited a fortnight, the ram was still carrying live mites. They spread very gradually and suddenly hit with a vengeance just as I started lambing. Everything was rubbing and itching like mad, including newborn lambs. It was awful and scab was  the last thing I suspected, or I would have acted earlier. Anyway I injected with Dectamax and we got rid of it, but it knocked the ewes back so much that it took a long time to fatten the lambs that year.
So the characteristic signs are intense rubbing (not the odd scratch) till the wool comes off, leaving the skin all red, rough and raw. But if you keep a closed flock and they don't come into contact with any other sheep, or their wool, then you are unlikely to get it :fc: 

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 12:36:50 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

mark@farmhouse

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 09:54:10 pm »
Thanks for info I take it is more of a nuiscence than life threatrning

JFDI

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Hertfordshire
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 11:47:43 pm »
It will kill your sheep in less than week from when you see it.  They can't stop rubbing.  Very nasty to see and they all go down together but dectomax has them sorted in about a day.  You can't miss it, there's wool everywhere.  We got it with no new stock coming on to the land in the previous year.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 05:54:22 am »
Is it notifiable?  Certainly your neighbours would think very poorly of you if you let it go untreated, as it spreads across boundary fences very quickly.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 07:58:51 am »
..but itchy sheep with lots of wool loss can also be biting lice (not so serious, different treatment  'spot on' or something like it..).  With biting  lice you only see pinprick wounds.  My cograzer thought mine had scab - we dectomaxed them all... and it wasnt that at all.  if you can, take a lice down to vet for ID they are small and buff coloured, look a bit like a spec of lanolin but move.  A couple of mine have started itching and sheding again - so I'll be like a baboon with them again today.

JFDI

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Hertfordshire
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 09:22:58 am »
Is it notifiable?  Certainly your neighbours would think very poorly of you if you let it go untreated, as it spreads across boundary fences very quickly.

It is notifiable in Scotland.  It is not in England. 

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animal-diseases/notifiable/
http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farmanimal/diseases/documents/scops-flow.pdf

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 11:55:15 am »
Didn't Vetrazin used to cover it? I miss Vetrazin, Clik only does flies.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 01:19:12 pm »
NO  insect growth regulator same as Clik / Clikzin  .    Only DIPPING or CYDECTIN 1% /2%   ZERMEX 1% / 2% can prevent or control  SCAB   .    DECTOMAX or one of the many IVERMECTIN injectables only control . I have had scab twice in large numbers of sheep and seen / heard of it in many flocks and never had /heard of any deaths  :raining:

SeamusOReilly

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 02:47:08 pm »
My neighbour injected his ewes and lambs with cydectin to cover off something he referred to as lumpy wool disease, is this the same as Scab?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 02:53:32 pm »
 No - different thing.
 Lumpy wool is caused by bacteria, not mites. You still get some irritation and scabs, but NOTHING LIKE the intense itching you get with scab.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 02:56:49 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 04:07:28 pm »
I thought Vetrazin had been discontinued - but yesterday saw it on the shelves at the local vets???  In between Clik and Crovect.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 04:22:55 pm »
The license expired for Vetrazin. I was hoping we might see a cheaprer generic version, but maybe not.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 07:06:55 pm »
Re Vetrazin.  I think I might buy a bottle and check the dates.  If the licence has expired, how can they still be selling it?  sorry I've hijacked this thread :-[

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS