Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice re ear tagging  (Read 7633 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: Advice re ear tagging
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 07:17:01 am »
Anyone else got a goat that is seriously accident prone with its Tags ?
I have 1 that caught its ear and its ear turned septic overnight, cleaned it up and it was that bad the tag had to come out. she now has a lovely scar and the hole has closed up
Thursday they where out and would you belive she has done the same to the other ear   :(
Thursday there was blood friday it looked a bit inflamed  so gave her a jab and saturday it was very nasty so again her tag is out !
I hate tags would rather they still tatooed
Graham

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 07:45:08 am »
I know I hate tags as well.  Why can't goats/sheep be microchipped?  I don't know if it would be very expensive but it would be a lot safer surely?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 05:21:42 pm »
I hate tags would rather they still tatooed
You can tattoo both goats and sheep, and then you only need one other eartag (normal for goats, EID for sheep). One ear flock number (UK not necessary), other ear individual number.
Also up to the age of 1 year goats only need on ear tag, so that reduces the chances of catching them. When one of mine has an infected ear, I take the tag out, take photos of the ear and leave it to heal until I need to take the goats somewhere where I need tags.... :innocent: I always have replacement tags ready to put in in case of an inspection.
I use Shearwells SETtags, usually don't bother cutting the loop, as I have found the cut tags are ripped/ear gets infected underneath just as much as the looped ones...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 12:03:50 am »
I really don't want my goats tagged but know there is no choice.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 05:57:45 pm »
I use Roxan tags as I find their pin is not too heavy duty and they have a 'gun' type applicator which makes actual tagging easier as the tag is ejected from the applicator - used to find other tags would stick in the applicator then the goat would move is head and scream the house down!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 07:27:36 pm »
So MGM if u were to keep goats in the garden and not sell or kill them do you need to tag them? X :goat:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 08:34:30 pm »
Of course they need to be tagged, if you buy them they already have their tags anyway. Any torn ones need to be replaced. Inpsectors can be really iffy about incorrectly tagged goats....
And btw, the same for pygmy goats too!
I got asked at a show recently if you could keep pygmy goats in a flat...

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 08:37:11 pm »

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Have to tell my Mum that one - I say my goats are clean etc - she just looks at them saying they've made my trousers dirty!!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 10:03:21 pm »
Of course they need to be tagged, if you buy them they already have their tags anyway. Any torn ones need to be replaced. Inpsectors can be really iffy about incorrectly tagged goats....
And btw, the same for pygmy goats too!
So my friends goat must be from a dodgy dealer as it has no tag.. I wouldn't b supprised if she hasn't got a holding number also

heidih

• Joined Aug 2012
  • walsall
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 10:07:57 pm »
Oooh anke keep your knickers on...carl was only asking a question!!..btw.. :rant:
mom of 3 daughters. and a stepson, partner of carl and mommy to 2 nanny goats , 10 chooks. 4 ducks. 2 cats and 2 rabbits with their 7 babies, support worker in CRITICAL CARE and craft maker .:)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2012, 02:47:23 pm »
My youngster that I brought in was tagged.  I've just not got round to doing mine but should have done so.  Need to do it soon as I haven't been inspected for more than five years so must be about due.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS