Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice re ear tagging  (Read 7634 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Advice re ear tagging
« on: September 14, 2012, 09:19:39 pm »
I really do need to get my goats ear tagged so I've been looking in the catalogue.  I know what I want but I'm confused about the number that I should have on it.  I do have the DEFRA info which says it's a 12 digit number but is it my  holding number or herd number I need?  How do I make it up to 12 digits?

HEEEEELLLLLPPP!   :dunce:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Advice re ear tagging
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 09:31:17 pm »
Like this

So it's your flock number that goes on the tags.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 10:46:05 pm »
Thanks, Jaykay.  I presume the other side is the goat's individual number?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 10:46:35 pm »
That's right.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 11:07:13 pm »
Apparently the mimimum quantity I can order is 50.  Even allowing for 2 per goat, I'm never going to have 25 goats.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 12:03:45 am »
Yes, I had 50,but have a few kids each year.  But I think there is someone who does them in 10's for people who only breed one calf, lamb, kid.  Someone on here must know who it is?

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 07:05:32 am »
Contact Shearwell tags from Minehead......their 'Set Tags'   are 79p a pair.    I use these because they are the smallest on the market and you can have with the eid chip or not I believe.    I EID chip all mine now because it simply isn't worth running 2 sets of numbers........pure breds & cross breds...... as the tags are so cheap.   They also replace any lost tags free of charge.
These tags are loops which I cut and trim .   Roxy you have got 1 or 2 of mine with these small tags I think.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 09:04:44 am »
We use Richeys tags, you can buy them in sets of 10 , dont forget you also need the pliers to put them in with, cut the loop after fitting , Hay and Breccon farmers stock them and take less than a week to order.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 04:51:25 pm »
I've recently ordered tags for mine, through 'Wynnstay'.  Taggers + 10 tags under £10, minimun order 10tags for £1 from Quicktags, if you only want slaughter tags it's just the herd number, if it's for keepers it's PAIRS, herd number and indivual number 1- 5

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 04:59:18 pm »
I've got a Fearings catalogue and they are 22p each including laser printing on both sides but, as I said, I have to buy 50 min.  Do I have to buy separate for Curry to go to slaughter or can I put a pair on him and pretend I was going to keep him?  A local farmer has the pliers and has offered to do it for me (I'm  a woose - don't want to hurt them) if I buy the rectangular ones that are not joined together (so you get a separate bit each side of the ear).

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 06:03:04 pm »
What kind are the farmers taggers for?There's different ones for each design of tags.
If he's older than 1 year I think (but not sure) he should be double tagged, someone else will probably know, not got time to find the book just now.
Mine were 10p each.

http://www.quicktag.co.uk/tag.aspx?productid=64
this kind,only took a couple of days to come.

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 07:14:11 pm »
have a look at Ascots-smallholdings they are on the web and do the tags in 10s plus alsorts of other stuff
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 10:12:53 pm »
so would you say cutting the loop on the eid tags is a good idea? i used the same as i use on the sheep this year... :goat:

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 11:34:58 pm »
I bought my tags, 10 sets red replacements and 10 sets of normal ones from Ketchums for about £25 and they sent me free pliers :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 06:46:01 am »
Poppy2012....yes defo cut the loop on tags...the EID cannot fall out.  With goats they are less likely to be caught up asthe ear will slide out of situations !!! With the loop complete,  you may be sure that agoat will tear its ear to pieces !!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS