Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: It will all become clear :) RPA and vet visit tomorrow  (Read 2527 times)

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
It will all become clear :) RPA and vet visit tomorrow
« on: September 12, 2012, 08:55:13 pm »
Since the new electronic movement system came in, and all my previous details got rejected I have been trying to get on top of what exactly I have to do to get everything sorted out.  I have had various kinds of conversations with ' advice' people, none of which seemed to match up.  In short, the left hand did not know what the right hand was doing.  A complete farce.

Recently, I made a bit of headway and it seems that I have a simple solution at hand (fingers crossed).  Both the RPA and Animal Health now seem to saying the same sort of thing. I am feeling fairly positive that everything can be sorted and I can confidently move forwards.

Tomorrow we have a visit from the RPA who will be looking at the whole farm.  I know it sounds strange, But I can't WAIT to meet this person and double check that what I am doing is ok  :relief: then readjust my details on the system, and get a thumbs up!  :excited: even if it is not correct actually talking to someone face to face to try and get everything as it should be, will be a real relief.

In addition, as my pigs have not been 'seen' for a while (in a legal manner) I am expecting a visit from a
really good pig vet who I hope will be able to confirm pregnancies (although we are pretty sure, as the gilts have gotten really deep), be able to prescribe what i need for a first kit and also answer a range of questions that I have about my set up, health security and well...all sorts. 

It will be so good to be that much better informed especially as in 2 weeks we should have our first litters and be getting into that whole endless :) breeding cycle/selling weaners/fattening/selling meat etc etc.

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: It will all become clear :) RPA and vet visit tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 10:55:00 am »
 :thumbsup: from RPA. got to do some poo (in every sense!) calculations for nitrogen, just to keep on file but that's it.   As I use someone else's land, who also keeps pigs that I manage, we are going down the route of keeping separate herd numbers and linked in CPH numbers.  Amazingly enough the details from the new ealc system came through, with past (incorrect) details from past paperwork.  I really pity the poor person who had to marry all our stuff up.

We will now have a really straightforward paperwork system. I am one very very happy lady :)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 11:47:24 am »
 :thumbsup: :trophy: Hurrah! That's great news knowing you are all straight with all the rules and regs! :thumbsup: :trophy:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 01:44:38 pm »
Brilliant result for you Mrs S  :thumbsup:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 01:47:40 pm »
We were dreading the RPA man coming a while ago but i have to say he was very helpful, came from a farming background and was just plain sensible. So good luck with your visit too.
We met the MV accreditation guy for the south at Romsey show last week he was doing an inspection and he was really lovely too, very willing to talk about rules and regs.
I hear he's at Newbury show this weekend as well

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 06:34:26 pm »
I have been so worried about it tbh. I knew that the paperwork (no fault of my own) was in a muddle and I was sure that someone from a government agency wouldn't have much sympathy. The chap that came along was so understanding. He'd obviously heard it all before!

On the down side, my vet visit was not so great. Very informative and I really now know how I need to progress but......he doesn't think my gilts are pregnant.  He does think that they are too big for breeding purposes :(. A big lesson learnt and some very helpful hints given (I'll share on a separate thread) but still, I am on a bit of a downer.   On top of the disappointment, I am pretty sure I will be making a loss on these 2 gilts.  One hell of a learning curve!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS