Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: feed for goatlings :)  (Read 4121 times)

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
feed for goatlings :)
« on: September 12, 2012, 08:32:19 pm »
 :goat: some goatling advice....... i have a Girl kid 6 months old, not succling any mmore, whats the best kind of feed, we have  alocal farmers merchand, have been told that calf mix would do, is this ture?? if so is there anything else you can advice
thank you

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: feed for goatlings :)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 08:49:33 pm »
Mine get molassed sheep coarse mix at this age. And some goat minerals and hay.

They start getting equal amounts of dairy nuts too when I mate them, and thereafter when they're pregnant, feeding and milking.

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 09:01:46 pm »
are dairy nuts concentrates or is that just for the milkers, stupid wuestion i know!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 09:09:58 pm »
Dairy nuts are concentrates but I only feed them to my adult goats, from the time they go to the billy right through pregnancy, birth, feeding their kids and then me milking them, as during all this time I think they need the extra nutrition.

Sheep coarse mix is also concentrates, as it says designed for sheep, but young goats do well on it in my opinion, as long as they have access to either a specific goat mineral or a red Rockie, so that they get the additional copper that goats need but sheep mustn't have.

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 09:12:44 pm »
would the smallholder block lick besufficient for this??

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 09:24:19 pm »
No, I'd say not because it contains no copper. If you're going to feed sheep food (and that's fine to do) then they're going to be short of copper so the mineral needs to supply that. Sheep can be poisoned by too much copper but goats need it, which is the difference.

The Rockie salt licks, if you get the right one, provide copper - you need the red one not the yellow one. They don't taste great so goats don't take too much, you can give them unlimited access to it. Or I also use Brinicombes goat mineral which mine took a while to get used to but will now eat neat.

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 09:26:17 pm »
No, I'd say not because it contains no copper. If you're going to feed sheep food (and that's fine to do) then they're going to be short of copper so the mineral needs to supply that. Sheep can be poisoned by too much copper but goats need it, which is the difference.

The Rockie salt licks, if you get the right one, provide copper - you need the red one not the yellow one. They don't taste great so goats don't take too much, you can give them unlimited access to it. Or I also use Brinicombes goat mineral which mine took a while to get used to but will now eat neat.

the sheep often come into the goat house, they share a field hence the smallholder block.....hmmmm

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 09:29:49 pm »
Do you ever shut the goats in - ie over night? If so, used the powdered Brinicombes mineral and sprinkle it on their food.

Yes, you need to keep sheep away from the goat minerals. Anything sheep can have hasn't got the copper the goats need. Anything with the copper the goats need could poison the sheep.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 09:35:36 pm »
Mine are on a mixture of goat mix (Allan & Page, quite expensive), rolled oats and a wee handful of dairy nuts (Carrs Billingtons). The dairy nuts are not essential, but gets them used to them. Also usually give some soaked shreds to goatlings, especially in the winter. Good for adding minerals (I use Caprivite)  to their feed.
also any fruit/veg that goes for anyone else, branches etc etc.
I have the yellow Rockie only in heir pens. I don't use (molassed) licks for the goats - not sure they would know when to stop licking...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 11:08:09 pm »
Mine have Allen and Page mix as well but I'm now saving a bit of money by using dairy nuts for my milker in the ratio 2:1, coarse mix:dairy nuts.  They also have soaked sugar beet pellets (neeed less storage space than flakes) and share a bucket of Just Grass every day.  Oh and veg and fruit when it's available.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS