Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mad goat  (Read 2140 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Mad goat
« on: September 10, 2012, 11:04:17 pm »
I started reducing Cloud's milk when she reached 6 months old, then gave her just water.  One month on she still eagerly suckles her bottle of water.  I don't mind as it distracts her while I get Pom out of the yard and into the house to be milked.  JUst wonder if she'll give it up naturally or not.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Mad goat
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 05:32:02 am »
 :D She sounds like a real cuteness  :goat:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 07:44:47 am »
The trouble with bottle feeding is that the kids get into the habit of you and food , so instead of the bottle , start giving her a handful of hard feed while you milk mum. I take it she drinks water from a bucket normaly ? so the bottle is just a habit now.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 10:13:29 am »
Cherry, one of my adult Nubians, has been known to grab a kids bottle, and hold it in her mouth, and drink the contents.  Some would bottle feed forever if allowed.  To be honest, once mine are eating hard feed, and I have seen then drink water, they go on one bottle a day, and then its just stopped.  When you have a lot bottle feeding, the sooner they are weaned, the better. By8 weeks mine are not bothered for their milk.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 10:24:27 pm »
Yes, she eats well and drinks from the bucket.  I know it's just habit but she is rather cute and, as I said, it does distract her from getting out of the gate.  Not sure she'd stop for a handful of food but Pom probably would which defeats the object.  Think I'll stick with the bottle, at least until I get fed up with it.

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 09:44:11 am »
I know of a lady, from when I worked at the vets, who still bottle feeds water to her sheep at 4 years old.  Her sheep are all fit and healthy and they drink water independently so its not as though it is to ensure they stay hydrated, it is clearly because she loves doing it. Can't imagine what it must be like for her getting mobbed at the gate though.  If it works for you and Cloud and its a useful tool for the time being, considering your health issues, then just continue.  :hug:
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 06:42:59 pm »
Thanks, Luckylady. It certainly does stop me being shoved although she has pushed the bottle out of my hand on a couple of occasions.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS