Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tiddles? Put that duckling down! NOW!!!  (Read 6085 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Tiddles? Put that duckling down! NOW!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 07:22:46 am »
I read somewhere that chickens have 250-350 taste buds, compared with our 9000. When you think about it, that explains quite a lot!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 12:47:36 pm »
All my cats were adults by the time we got the chickens and there has never been a problem. Hen puts the cat away when she has chicks. One has even pecked our Jack Russell on the nose for smelling her bum, should have seen his face  :innocent:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 08:37:20 pm »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:  Sabrina

Can't feed my big dog outdoors because the hens chase him from his food bowl.  ::) 

My cat was an adult when we took her in and seems to think of the hens as part of the crew .... even the tiny pekin hens. We do keep chicks in their runs for a while though because we have seen her stalking some that stray too far from mum.

Our cat regularly brings back nearly fully grown rabbits and yet she seems to see our house rabbit differently (though we never leave her alone with him just in case). She will walk up to him and touch noses and seems gentle around him.

Maybe cats sense that poultry and pet rabbits are different.  ???

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 12:30:34 pm »
Funny how they seem to know the livestock and pets are different from wildlife - must be a disney classic in there somewhere!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 05:22:11 pm »
Ive never had a problem with my birds and the moggies. I dont think Ive ever seen a cat chase one of my chooks even when I had them free ranging right up to the house. Henry does come with me to see the chooks when I feed and water them, but as soon as they see him, they make a right old din and he scarpers as fast as his paws will carry him. I dont know whether having Jethro helps, as he is quite a large cockerel.
Freddie and Henry are very keen hunters of everything normally, but I have never worried about the chooks.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2012, 06:05:23 pm »
I believe that having a cockerel helps - if the hens wont see the cat off, then the cock will.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS