Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tiddles? Put that duckling down! NOW!!!  (Read 6086 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Tiddles? Put that duckling down! NOW!!!
« on: September 12, 2012, 09:46:03 am »

A friend was asking me how you go about introducing a new cat to hens and chicks. However, I don’t really know, since our cats came with the smallholding and were already well used to poultry. It’s quite incredible really – our cats will stalk pheasants but not hens, and will hunt chaffinches but never chicks or ducklings.

I’d have thought you’d have to get a kitten rather than a fully grown cat, so it can be trained not to eat small yellow fluffy things, but how?

Any thoughts folks? 

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
Re: Tiddles? Put that duckling down! NOW!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 09:53:47 am »
It is for this very reason that I am resisting getting chickens/ducks.  Would love them but we have six cats and although soft as anything I could not trust them.  We did have chickens and cats together when I was a child but I can't for the life of me remember if there was ever a problem.
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 10:03:13 am »
We got (actually found) a very small kitten as we didn't find it's owner - probably feral - when it was very young I would take him out to play on the patio and the ducks would virtually surround him - he would move forward, they would move back, then they would move towards and he would back off.

It seemed to work and he's been fine with ducks and ducklings - thank goodness
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 10:07:45 am »
I have chickens, ducks and a cat and have never thought about there being a problem. One of my broodies also has 4 chicks. They are nearly 4 weeks old and have been free ranging this week with mum.
My cat doesn't seem to be the least bit interested but maybe thats because she is 11 years old, although that doesn't stop her catching mice. She wasn't brought up with chickens either as we have only had them for 5 months.
Henrietta (broody mum) is very protective of the chicks and I think she would see the cat off if she got too close anyway.
My neighbour has 5 cats who are always in my garden/field and I haven't noticed a problem with them either.
Sally

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 10:10:55 am »
We adopted a 9 month old killer cat (lots of presents - shrews  to moles)- she stalks the chickens and occasionally has a go at scattering them, but I think they may have had a go back as she treats them with respect now.  I dont let chicks out to free range until they are a reasonable size though (all ours are incubator raised) as she might chance her luck if they were small.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 10:44:44 am »
My outdoor cats kill mice...quite big ones too. They also bring in dead birds esp fledlings but are scared of the chooks Mrs broody (whichever one it happens to be at the time) flies at the cats! Dad will also come to help. Ive never had any problems even with escaped quail that the cats try to help me catch.

Last year one was out in the woirkshop (quail house overwintering site/ cats food place) the two cats were very interested in it and couldnt work out why I wanted to catch it, They tried a bit of stalking but did no more. I wouldnt trust them with a Quail without me there though.
If I do have chicks without a broody they are in a roofed run too. As much as to protect them from the other hens as preditors.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 06:57:28 pm »
I had three adult cats, two of which were hunters, when I first had ducks, then hens.  The hunting cats would bring home rabbits but I never saw them touch the poultry.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 07:01:15 pm »
Same here Mad, think my cat is too lazy to be bothered - maybe I feed her too well :hungry:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 07:47:15 pm »
I had killer cats but they never went for poultry. Mind you I wouldn't have small chicks out on their own (ie without a mum to protect them) for reasons other than cats.

Reminds me once of taking my dog Skye for a walk and him coming back with a sort of funny look on his face, especially around his mouth. When I looked closely there were two little legs sticking out one side, kicking wildly. I grabbed him and opened his mouth - one pheasant chick, rather damp but unharmed  :D

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 09:22:13 pm »
Our little kitten will not be going out on his own until nearing a year old. At the moment he is only four months old. For the last couple of months of having him I've carried him out to meet the hens. He is curious but wary due to their size. I'm hoping by the time he is going out he will just accept them as part of the surroundings  :fc:

Our last two cats lived with guinea pita, rabbits, chinchillas, hamster and gerbil over the years and never attempted to hunt them, despite both hunting voles and rats. They just seemed to accept these animals.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 07:28:51 pm »
Our cats bring all sorts of things back from mice and voles to rabbits , phesants and even  Stoats  :o
one of them only once stalked a buff orpington with her chicks and got attacked by mum and the cockeral and since that day she has never gone down by the chickens and if the chickens are in the field she does a detour rather than pass them 
Graham

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 07:35:59 pm »
An adult hen is more than a match for a cat. 

In Exmoor, both my cats regularly caught partridge, and one got the occasional pheasant - but our hens (just warrens and Black Rocks) used to take mice off the cats and there was nothing the cats could do about it!   :roflanim:

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 08:28:04 pm »
An adult hen is more than a match for a cat. 

In Exmoor, both my cats regularly caught partridge, and one got the occasional pheasant - but our hens (just warrens and Black Rocks) used to take mice off the cats and there was nothing the cats could do about it!   :roflanim:

So made me smile - remember Penny Hen pottering about - dive into the grass and emerged with a poor wee shrew!! She was well into her teens so I let her be and probably almost as good a hunter at the cat!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 06:47:32 pm »
One of our Muscovy drakes caught a shrew last week, poor wee thing was still squealing it's head off when the muscovy gulped it down, poor wee thing, shrews are so cute.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 06:03:18 am »
Shrews are cute, but I gather they don't taste very nice, from various felines turning up their noses over the years.

Mind you, if you swallow them live I guess you're not so fussed by minor details like taste  :o

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS