Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep worrying  (Read 15276 times)

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Sheep worrying
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2012, 10:19:31 am »
I was thinking the same, loads of rabbits round here and acres to roam on. I really like the look of that cross aswell..... Now if I could get them to catch the rabbits and leave the hens/sheep then that would be ideal  :thumbsup: I would only ever have a pup here so you stand a chance of training them.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2012, 10:21:14 am »
I must admit I'd rather have a dog jabbed by an e-collar or butted by a tup than a dead one JMHO
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2012, 11:40:32 am »
I completely agree Doganjo.

I would just add ... or a dog that is always on a lead or long line where it is not safe to roam.  There seems to be a common thought with pet dog owners that dogs need to be free running whenever they can, and you are not a caring owner if you don't let them have this, and farmers are just there to spoil a dogs fun! 

Depends very much on the dog breed whether you can do this.  Bob Truman wrote in his book on working setters - a setter should be either working, training, playing in an enclosed paddock or ON A LEAD.  They never stop hunting (probably much like yours Doganjo??) and a walk to them is hunting at an incredibly slow speed!!   I've never owned a sight hound or long dog but it seems the same rules should be applied to them also??
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2012, 11:55:53 am »
I'd agree shep, it's all about responsible ownership, trouble is sometimes you think you've responsibly let your dog off lead, I.e. no unfenced livestock, but ones escaped the enclosure, seen by your dog and that's it they're off.

My collie and gsx have both got their kennel club gold good citizen awards, I tried with George but he failed his bronze, almost impossible to fail this, but being in a village hall with 10 other dogs was just too stimulating for him, at home you'd swear he'd pass his silver award

I always think that when they're on a walk they're in pack mode, ie like wolves going hunting, they're just waiting for you, the alpha dog, to give them permission to go for it, I don't think that instinct is breed specific, it's hard wired into all dogs

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2012, 05:21:21 pm »
I now take my dogs to run free in deer fenced and gated woodlands planted for the purpose.  There are now new ones fairly close - 10 minutes away, but until recently I've been driving 25 minutes each way for this.  I only let them off lead otherwise if they are working on the shoot we are invited to, so are (supposed to be at least  :innocent:) under control.

Yes, Shep, hunting is hardwired in a Brittany's head - that's what they were bred for - to Hunt, Point, [Shoot], Retrieve! 

I've seen them give me a look sometimes, when a gun has missed a bird, that says 'Give me the gun and I'll do it ALL myself  :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2012, 05:28:26 pm »
Oooh Doganjo can I move near you - that sounds fabulous deer fenced woodland!

Alistair sorry I wasn't meaning any criticism of you letting George off - I have had similar instances of letting my youngest off on a beach thinking how much she would enjoy running - what can go wrong??  Not thinking she would instantly head for the rabbits in the dunes  :-[ .  Unfortunately that pack walk thingy doesn't kick into setters till they are about 8 yrs old!!! 
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2012, 08:13:13 pm »
Just back from a couple of hours of fun with my dogs.  Hiding dummies, throwing them, and plain old hunting.   Reminding them of quartering, sits to whistle, recalls by name and whistle, directioning etc - not another dog in sight - 40 acres in the first section, a heel off lead through rough mature woodlands to the next section - slightly smaller about 30 acres.  Then the much loved command 'go play' - tehy never needa second bidding for that one.

Both fields used to be grazings.  I guess the farmer got the money to do it from either the woodland trust or Brussels farm diversification if it's still on the go.  Either way, good on 'em - saves me a fortune in petrol :innocent:

There might be some near you Shep, or Alistair - ask the Forestry commission or Community Council.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2012, 10:44:29 pm »

Yes, Shep, hunting is hardwired in a Brittany's head - that's what they were bred for - to Hunt, Point, [Shoot], Retrieve! 

I've seen them give me a look sometimes, when a gun has missed a bird, that says 'Give me the gun and I'll do it ALL myself  :roflanim:
My Springer sat by me when we were out shooting, alternately looking at me and a squirrel, you could almost see her thinking ' what IS the matter with you. Shoot the Bloody thing!' priceless.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2012, 11:34:51 am »

My Springer sat by me when we were out shooting, alternately looking at me and a squirrel, you could almost see her thinking ' what IS the matter with you. Shoot the Bloody thing!' priceless.
And they say dogs don't show emotion! :innocent: :innocent:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2012, 01:26:53 pm »
And they say dogs don't show emotion! :innocent: :innocent:

I don't know who says that, Annie, but I know this.  Whoever they are, they ain't got no dogs.  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2012, 03:10:06 pm »
Read it in one of those animal psychology books - and they can't see in colour either.   :innocent:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2012, 12:23:56 am »
Read it in one of those animal psychology books - and they can't see in colour either.   :innocent:

I tink deys old books, Annie.  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2012, 10:40:25 am »
Do ganja, they see in sepia believe it or not

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2012, 03:22:09 pm »
Sepia?  And how do 'they' know that? :innocent:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2012, 09:37:27 pm »
 It's the way the cells are made up at the back of the eye. Im not sure about sepia bit know they cannot distinguish certain colours. I was advised to puppy train the scent for working trials by starting with red toys in the grass. The dog cannot distinguish red and green. He needs to use his nose not sight. But it means I can see where it is and encourage or correct when it is needed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS