Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Country File weather forecast  (Read 10311 times)

deepinthewoods

Re: Country File weather forecast
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 10:57:25 am »
drizzle in cornwall. ::)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 11:23:01 am »
 :sunshine: :sunshine: here in north yorks, will get some paddocks dried up so work can commence on some repairs to fencing (we use big loader to bash in posts and little tractor to tension wire) its just been too wet to take machinery anywhere, combines in the area were flat out well into the night yesterday could hear them churning away thro open bedroom window, still lots to be cut so fingers crossed for a good window of warm dry weather., might bring the price of wheat down a bit! :fc:
Mandy  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 12:03:45 pm »
unfortunately it wont    the price is governed by the world market   and shortages there      most cereals is sold on a forward contract     if these farmers forward sold 1000 tons at £180 per ton  they have to fulfill there contract  or be penalised   even if the price jumps to double there contract price      once again it is the money men  that are making on others misfortune :farmer:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 12:14:29 pm »
the corn exchange was the original hedge fund. its been happening for hundreds of years.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/barclays-makes-500m-betting-on-food-crisis-8100011.html
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:57:43 pm by deepinthewoods »

Greenmoor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lancashire
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 03:34:25 pm »
We've mowed our bottom field at last today - pray for no  :raining: !!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 09:44:38 pm »
I went to get hay on Monday.  The farmer was out combining while he had the chance.  His wife showed me all the hay they had managed to harvest.  Not much at all. Fortunately they still have a fair bit left from last year.  Hope September is dry.  They may manage to salvage some more.  They haven't any small bales of this year's yet and I can't manage large bales.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 10:54:19 am »
apparently its supposed to be dry until October  :sunshine:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 11:47:23 am »
it's drizzling a bit and quite blustery just now but still blissful not getting soaked when feeding or getting eggs - I don't even want to mention cleaning out houses  ;D :&>
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:22:11 pm by northfifeduckling »

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 12:13:21 pm »
Mad weather, last week digging channels from the paddocks to take away surplus rain!
This morning out putting factor 50 on all the piglets ears as they got a bit fried yesterday in the scorchio  :sunshine: , still  :sunshine: today but local man said cloud will descend from the north. Grass was very very dewy this morning and it was a tad nippy, proper Autumn weather.
Mandy  :pig:

Greenmoor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lancashire
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2012, 09:49:39 am »
Well it all became a disaster here.  The mowed grass was drying out lovely and hubs and his brother were putting the hours in working through it.  Then on Friday it rained all day  :gloomy:

It dried up again on Saturday so we ended up getting it big-baled into silo.  The field was so wet though that the man who baled it didn't manage to finish it all.  Anyway, we've decided we're not going to bother again, we'll just get the sheep to eat the grass and buy in any bales we need.

I've never known the field so wet, it's dreadful and the tractors have made a real mess.  Ho Hum.  Anway, this is my middle son with the product of our recent stresses! 

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2012, 09:59:49 am »
Well it all became a disaster here.  The mowed grass was drying out lovely and hubs and his brother were putting the hours in working through it.  Then on Friday it rained all day  :gloomy:

It dried up again on Saturday so we ended up getting it big-baled into silo.  The field was so wet though that the man who baled it didn't manage to finish it all.  Anyway, we've decided we're not going to bother again, we'll just get the sheep to eat the grass and buy in any bales we need.

I've never known the field so wet, it's dreadful and the tractors have made a real mess.  Ho Hum.  Anway, this is my middle son with the product of our recent stresses! 

Same here!!! We did ours a couple of weeks ago - forecast was for 6 days st[/size]raigh[/color]t[/size] of good wea[/color]t[/size]her, cu[/color]t[/size] [/color]t[/size]he grass on [/color]t[/size]he sa[/color]t[/size]urda[/color][/size]y, [/color]t[/size]urned sunda[/color][/size]y, monda[/color][/size]y, [/color]t[/size]uesda[/color][/size]y [/color]t[/size]hen peed i[/color]t[/size] down, [/color]torrential,[/size] for 3 hours on [/color]t[/size]uesda[/color][/size]y evening. Big bale ha[/color][/size]y[/color][/size]lage [/color]t[/size]hen... Rubbish!!!![/color]

Greenmoor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lancashire
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2012, 10:07:55 am »
It's been dreadful hasn't it?  This is the first year in the sixteen since I met my husband that I've ever known us be unable to make small hay bales.  It better be a one-off!  :rant:

chickenfeed

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2012, 10:20:13 am »
sorry the weather has not been with you gemma. we had a rather busy day yeasterday brining in the pea straw just the odd 350 bales the sun was out in force throughout way to hot but its now done the weather here is dry but the wind has got up and the sun is not out oh the joys of weather watching  ;)  and planning.

Greenmoor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lancashire
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2012, 10:24:37 am »
sorry the weather has not been with you gemma. we had a rather busy day yeasterday brining in the pea straw just the odd 350 bales the sun was out in force throughout way to hot but its now done the weather here is dry but the wind has got up and the sun is not out oh the joys of weather watching  ;)  and planning.

350 bales??!  Glad you managed to get them all in.  Thankfully our little piece only yielded us 9  :D.  Dave and I are just thankful that our livelihoods don't depend on the weather; it's annoying but it's not too great a disaster at least.

chickenfeed

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2012, 10:36:24 am »
only small conventional bales we have so far stacked in 500 straw 200 hay and now the pea straw so we will be ok for the winter this year.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS