Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: IM injection  (Read 9564 times)

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
Re: IM injection
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 06:44:55 pm »
It can be worth making a poultice wrap with a foot problem if there  is infection to draw out. Ours sometimes get problems from thorns, and sometimes you can't even find the problem but a poultice seems to help. I use half a nappy dipped in an epsom salt solution and use gaffa/carpet tape to wrap it on. Usually leave on for 2 to 3 days.  I have also used this to keep a treated foot clean and dry, without soaking in epsom salt solution, and with some plastic sacking over the half nappy wrap and then the gaffa tape.
Sounds like she is well on the well to recovery now though  :)   

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 09:34:55 pm »
Wouldn't have even though of a poultice - have a feeling if I tried to follow your instructions, my attempt would fall off within an hour.

She wasn't limping this am but then she stamped her feet at the dog for getting too close and then she did limp away  ::)

not quite out of the woods yet...

Mel

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2019, 11:40:58 pm »

Helpful website  :thumbsup:  thanks for posting.

I use 1/2" needles on my shetlands.  Antibiotics do seem to sting, so I just give the leg a good rub and say sorry !

I know Shetlands are smaller and less muscley than Texels, and I don't know which antibiotic you're using, but I do wonder whether the short (1/2") needle is delivering the dose into the subcutaneous space and that's why they are reacting?  The ones we use don't sting if the dose is given into the muscle.  Combivit, which is a Vitamin boost which can be given sub-cu or i-m, definitely stings given sub-cu and doesn't given i-m.  (So I give it i-m unless I need it active pronto  ;).)

Out of interest what’s likely to happen if you subcutaneous inject an intramuscular injection by mistake as you note in your post above?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS