Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Market Report  (Read 7248 times)

HappyHippy

Market Report
« on: September 01, 2012, 03:07:33 pm »
There was a thread a couple of weeks back about farmers markets (I can't remember what one it was and can't find it now) and I said I'd report back afterwards about how it went ....... here goes  ;)

I displayed the pork (which had been wrapped, packed and labelled by the butcher) in big polystyrene boxes filled with a layer of ice. The temperature checks with the probe varied between 3.8 and 4.2 C (this was by placing the probe between packs, as per environmental health officer/trading standards requirements) As it was insulated boxes the ice didn't melt much at all (I was really worried about soggy packaging  :relief:) The rest of the pork was stored in a fridge in a side room, but if you had a cool box with ice packs that would be just as good as long as you can keep the meat at 'fridge temperature' - according to the EHO  :thumbsup:
For next time I'm going to get the blue gel filled packs to line the boxes with - they'll not get wet at all and they'll be reuseable too  ;)

I cooked up sausages and gave them out as samples, again, doing all the temperature recording needed (environmental health give you a great form for recording everything on - it's fairly foolproof  :thumbsup:)

It went really well  :excited: I was completely blown away by the response from everyone and how supportive folk were about locally produced, outdoor pork  :thumbsup: The market opened at 10am and by 10.30am I was on the phone to Bruce to get him to bring more sausages as I'd almost sold out (samples do wonders for sales folks  :yum:)

So for anyone who's thinking about going down this route, the only advice I can give you is talk to your EHO and trading standards folk lots, they don't want to make it difficult for you, they just want to keep the public healthy and food safe (keep them involved and in the loop ;)) Take twice the amount you think you'll sell and GO FOR IT  :thumbsup:
Karen  :wave:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Market Report
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 03:26:15 pm »
Karen,
Thanks for the info. Its really great that you did so well.  By the sounds of it you will be doing it again.
Well done
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 03:28:06 pm »
Im SO pleased it went so well - fantastic news and well done you - the sausages clearly sell themselves with the taste and smell of them cooking!
congratulations!

deepinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 03:34:15 pm »
mmmm sausages, well done :)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 04:58:24 pm »
Sounds like you had a great day  :thumbsup:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 05:51:40 pm »
Well done, missus :thumbsup: A good omen for next week, I hope :fc:

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 06:15:55 pm »
Well done HH - Sounds like all your hard effort paid off, good for you - think your right on the samples bit - no way could I walk past a cooking sausage  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 06:19:01 pm »
Well done, missus :thumbsup: A good omen for next week, I hope :fc:
:fc: I am, in fact, 'bricking it'  :o But also very  :excited: :excited: :excited:
Who'd believe that I am getting nervous about talking  ::)  :roflanim:

Thanks to everyone for all your kind comments  :hug: :-*

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 08:39:18 pm »
Sounds like a good day  :thumbsup:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 09:18:19 pm »
Well done - sounds like you "done good"   :thumbsup:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 09:39:45 pm »
Well done, Karen.  Glad it went so well.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 12:39:52 am »
Well done!  Wish you were near us....I always try and support farmers markets if I can.  And always on the lookout for nice sausages etc.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 07:31:38 am »
Well done you!! I hope it keeps going well :) :)

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 08:18:27 am »
At a farmers market you can spot people who know what they're doing. Well done!
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

HappyHippy

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 08:44:09 am »
Well done!  Wish you were near us....I always try and support farmers markets if I can.  And always on the lookout for nice sausages etc.
I can do next day delivery by courier  ;) (once I get more sausages that is  :D)

Thanks again everybody for your kind wishes  :thumbsup: :-*

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS